Good session on the Georges flatties

jenno64

After reading reports of little action on the Georges lately, yesterday arvo, I collected some poddies for a crack at this mornings run out tide. Woke at 5:30am and saw the fullish moon still high in the sky (not normally a good sign) and made it on the water at 6:15am to find the tide coming to a halt. I soaked a couple of large poddies in a deep channel that has produced some good fish but 'no run, no fun'.

Plan B was to fish another shallower spot for the start of the run in and about 7am I had my first mid 40s flatty in the live-well. I worked a section of 100m up and down with the tide picking up and the next hour or so was action packed. I landed 10 flatties in the high 40s and kept 4 for the table.

Returned to my deep hole for another drift but no crackers today.

Just had a sensational feed of flatty fillets with lyonnaise potatoes, a home grown salad and a choice reisling :beersmile:

post-4017-021093300 1326452348_thumb.jpg

Great feed mate! :thumbup:

Congrats!! I was just about to give up on flatties in the Georges...so how do you present the poddies on the hook?

Dchu,

I pin the poddies up through the nose on a wide gap hook and either drift them over the bottom or troll them behind the kayak if there is no drift in the shallows.

quote name='dchu' timestamp='1326495780' post='429128']

I pin the poddies up through the nose on a wide gap hook and either drift them over the bottom or troll them behind the kayak if there is no drift in the shallows.

Thanks Jenno...it helps a lot! :thumbup:

These are the go

post-4017-081521900 1326499859_thumb.jpg

Nice catch of flatties there Rob, did you dangle a placcie as well??.

Nice feed mate.. :thumbup:

Ray I don't use placcies that often but I troll hard bodies a fair bit when I don't have bait handy. How is the fishing up your way?

Hey jenno,

Out of interest what size hook do you use in the wide gap? Do the poddies struggle to survive with the weight of the hook?

thanks

Tumra,

I use 1/0 s for small poddies and 2/0s for poddies bigger that 10cm. The bigger poddies tend to attract the bigger fish!

Ray I don't use placcies that often but I troll hard bodies a fair bit when I don't have bait handy. How is the fishing up your way?

Haven't been out much Rob, tooo much work on atm, get the odd spin around the rocks for a horsie or two and thats about it..