Newbie Questions

reeling

Hello there peoples!

New member here, from Sydney's inner west. I've been fishing on and off very casually for a while (previously used to tag along with a friend who used to work everything out for me), and fish land-based catch & release only :thumbup: . I have a bunch of (probably very elementary) questions that I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on..

Are the terms leader and trace synonymous? (it looks like it when I google search..)

Is braided line used for the main line, and then something else for the leader? Or is it the other way around? Or is it simply a matter of preference? ..I've been using a rod with some thick-ish nylon line, and another rod with monofilament line... but I've been considering replacing one (or both) but don't really know where to start, and don't want to spend $20 just to find out I'm doing it wrong..

The bright red beads that you see .... are they used to attract fish, or do they perform some other function in the rig?

How difficult is it to learn to use soft plastics and other lures? So far I've only ever caught anything using chicken, prawns and worms..I've bought and tried plastic lures but no luck = boring = go back to bait. Does anyone know of a good source of beginner info on this topic? I've tried copying the youtube/AFC blokes' tips, and nothing! <_< The only ones who find the plastic lures appetising are toadfish! :ranting2:

Sorry about these basic questions, but in spite of the masses of fishing stuff online, I haven't been able to find any site that goes through a systematic explanation of items and functions... many sites simply advertise products and make the assumption that you know how and why you would buy it..

Also, does anyone know of any available video footage of wild fish taking baited hooks? I think it would be really useful to be able to actually see how certain species behave and respond to baits/lures. I vaguely recall the Easter Show :1prop: having a tank with fish that could be cast into, and would love to see something like it on video ... perhaps there's a field of study which documents this sort of thing.. fish behaviourists? :P

So far, fishing is a mysterious experience, combining luck and superstition. I give up! :1giveup: Because I've received so much conflicting advice and heard differing opinions, I am increasingly suspecting that half the blokes don't *really* know what they're talking about, so I'm coming to you guys!

Hi there!

I believe traces are usually made of wire and are used when targeting, expecting or suspecting toothier species.

These are usually bought pre-fab between 10 - 20cm and are attached directly to the hook(s) to prevent bite-offs. (Other raiders fell free to correct me if wrong..)

Leaders are lengths of either monofilament or fluorocarbon line that you attach to your mainline, be it braid or mono, to give you: better protection against abrasion, stealth, shock absorption or a combination or all of these.

Braid is used almost exclusively as mainline, as it's usually highly visible, & very strong for its diameter, but lacks abrasion resistance...

Most here, particularly for bread and butter species, will recommend using braid for main line with a fluorocarbon leader in most estuarine, river, harbour, lake locations.

I've heard red beads are used by those targeting whiting as an attractant, but I'm not sure if the same theory applies to other species, or for that matter, if the theory even applies in practice to whiting... someone else will no doubt be able to assist here... at the very least, I do know that beads of any sort can protect other terminal tackle, and bait, in a running sinker rig...

If you could tell us what species you are targeting, where you are likely to be fishing (boat, landbased, wharf etc...), rod used etc etc etc.. we'll be able & happy to help you further.

Youtube is probably your best bet for finding footage of anything fishing related.. bear in mind though, that as an in-exact science, there's very little in the way of footage you're after.. have a look though, as you may be able to stitch together a clearer picture from what you can find.

Anyways, tell us what species you're after, where you're fishing from, and how you'd like to approach it all, and you'll get a stack of info no doubt!

Hi Reeling, Katkis has given you some good information there. Catching fish is as diverse as the universe so it's probably best to break it down a bit and target the fish you're likely to catch in an area. Flathead and bream are a good place to start and if you want to improve your chances bait is the easiest way to catch them. A 6ft spinning rod and small reel filled with monofilament (for backing), 125yds of 6lb braid and a leader of approx 4-8 lb. If you take your reel into a fishing tackle shop they will fit it all up for you. Best baits are prawns, mullet(cut into strips). chicken or mullet gut, applied to baitholder style hooks. Use a sinker which is just heavy enough to stay on the bottom, where these fish feed. You can catch these species around shorelines, harbours, wharves and moored boats in any salt water environment. When you have the hang of catching these species on bait you can move on to other species or techniques. The internet is a gr8 source of information but you can easily become overloaded. The main thing is to get out and put the time in and you'll catch fish and have lots of fun. Good luck and we'll look forward to seeing your catches on the site, soon. Neil.

The best way to ind success with lures is to ONLY take lures and work them, covering as much ground as you can. Soft plastics are the best and easiest to start with. Grab one of starlo's squidgie DVDs and listen to what he says about theem, then vary your technique from there. The DVD's come free with magazines sometimes....

Are the terms leader and trace synonymous? I use both terms to mean the same thing

Is braided line used for the main line? Yes. You will find it much more sensitive to feel fish bites. I only use braid now.

And then something else for the leader? Yes use mono or fluorocarbon leader for the leader. It gives a bit of stretch as the braid does not stretch.

Or is it the other way around? No use braid first then the mono or fluoro for leader

Or is it simply a matter of preference? Yes and No. Choose braid or mono for most of the line then attach a leader of some sort at the end. The leader should not be braid.

..I've been using a rod with some thick-ish nylon line, and another rod with monofilament line... but I've been considering replacing one (or both) but don't really know where to start, and don't want to spend $20 just to find out I'm doing it wrong.. Braid is very expensive. Probably stick with the mono until you get a bit more proficient

The bright red beads that you see .... are they used to attract fish, or do they perform some other function in the rig? Mostly to attract fish but can be used to stop you winding the leader too far down the top of the rod which will ruin your guides.

How difficult is it to learn to use soft plastics and other lures? Soft plastics take a lot of practice and patience! Hard body lures can be easy. Chuck out the back of a boat and drive slowly!

So far I've only ever caught anything using chicken, prawns and worms..I've bought and tried plastic lures but no luck = boring = go back to bait. Does anyone know of a good source of beginner info on this topic? I've tried copying the youtube/AFC blokes' tips, and nothing! The only ones who find the plastic lures appetising are toadfish! You can get some Squidgy DVD's to help learn soft plastics. I've heard they are good but never seen them.

Sorry about these basic questions, but in spite of the masses of fishing stuff online, I haven't been able to find any site that goes through a systematic explanation of items and functions... many sites simply advertise products and make the assumption that you know how and why you would buy it.. Don't be sorry. Everyone starts with no knowledge and learns the rest!

So far, fishing is a mysterious experience, combining luck and superstition. I give up! Correct hahaha. Don't give up!!!!

Because I've received so much conflicting advice and heard differing opinions, I am increasingly suspecting that half the blokes don't *really* know what they're talking about, so I'm coming to you guys! Every one does it different. Find what works for you and stick to that.

Hope that helps.

Ash

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, guys!

I haven't really gone out targeting anything in particular, and in the past have caught bream, snapper, trevally, pike, leatherjacket, yellowtail and flounder around Sydney Harbour. In the Georges river I've caught whiting and bream, along with a weird diamond shaped fish which I think is called a silver moony (?) yet lately I've only been around Iron Cove at high tide, and only getting really small bream, tiny snapper and school whiting.

Trevally was really exciting to catch so I'd like to target them, and I guess it'd be cool to catch my first flathead too..

I often go fishing in the day or afternoon and usually what I do is I use a small hook on around 30cm of leader with a running ball sinker above it, and cast out as far as I can,then if nothing happens I reel it in a little bit and wait again. I've been told in the past to just cast out and wait patiently, and also told to reel in very slowly to drag the bait along the floor. I figured that the smaller the hook the more likely I am to catch anything at all, but I'm wondering whether a small hook can catch bigger fish too? Quite often I get a nibble, then a yank on the bait and then somehow I end up bringing up a clump of seaweed. I just use a cheap spinning 2-piece rod and reel combo, with the drag setting quite loose.

Constructive criticism is encouraged, especially if it helps me catch the more feisty fish!

The best way to ind success with lures is to ONLY take lures and work them, covering as much ground as you can.

Okay, so I shouldn't just camp in one spot like I have been.. I will give them another go probably around Iron Cove again. Thanks!

Probably stick with the mono until you get a bit more proficient

Yep, gotcha. Will definitely swap the thicker nylon for the mono!

Hi reeling and welcome to fishraider.

Members have given some great answers to your questions. There have been some good articles written by raiders and you will find a button "Articles" at the top of the forum or CLICK HERE

The search function is also a good way to sift through the thousands of helpful posts on fishraider CLICK HERE

We often have soft plastic workshops. It is about time we had another soon. READ ABOUT THE LAST ONE

Good luck.

mrsswordie

Mate the iron cove can be productive at times try using a burley. Get a bucket get some bread, chicken pellets, tuna oil maybe some old pilchards mix together with some water and throw in hand full every now and then. This brings the fish to you. Sometimes worthwhile having a rod with heavier line similar rig to the one you mentioned but with 2 hooks around a 5/0 with a pilchard or squid might be lucky to pick up a jewy just leave that one in water wile you have fun with bread butter fish on the lighter line using prawns, worms, small squid or chicken. Also there are a lot of different spots to try there try under bridge both sides or off ferry wharf or if you on city side looking at water look left there's some rocks going out into water try the end of them. Good luck

Edited by Shanemills

• 5 years later...

For berley i go to a fishmarket or shop (I have a friend working at one) and if they clean fish there the ask them to collect their dirty water and use that with a water gun. Sure it's fresh water so don't use a lot or things will go bad. The scent will most likely be very strong so definately don't use a lot. This dosen't feed the fish but attracts them. After soaking my bait in the water I cast quickly before they leave. 

along with a weird diamond shaped fish which I think is called a silver moony (?)

Does it look like this?

Image result for butter bream

If so then its a butterbream/butter fish/diamond fish/silvermooney.

but silver mooney usually have stripes across their face

I think if your learning to fish and its all new to you then you should stick to a basic all round set up.

Then later on when you get a bit more comfortable with your fishing ,then you can target certain fish that you like to catch and then use certain gear used to target those fish.

I would go to one of the big variety stores like Kmart or Big W etc and buy a basic rod and reel combo,look at the tags and info on the rod and reel they will tell you what fish this combo is good for.

Personally I suggest to target Bream,Flathead,Trevally or anything that will take your hook on a bag of prawns from the bait shop or servo.

Don't worry about line at this point cause your combo you buy will come already spooled with line,,just use that.

The hook you want to use is a number 2 suicide hook and a sinker about the size number 2 ball or bean or bud not too big and not too small.

You can google basic bream rigs and this should show you what I mean,this rig will catch you your basic variety of fish aka anything.

When I go fishing I aim to catch anything :D but when I target specific fish I have a whole rod and reel and set up aimed to only catch that fish nothing else,so I have a spin rod and reel,a beach rod and reel,a live bait rod and reel,a blackfish rod and reel and a few general purpose rod and reels for targeting Bream/Flathead/Trevally etc or anything that will take my bait.

Just throw a slice of wet squishy bread in once every half an hour to arouse the fish and keep them in your area..

I would fish from wharves and sandy type beach areas in the harbours etc.

Rainy days, although uncomfortable can produce the best basic fishing ever as these fish like the rain run off from drains etc cause with that run off it carries insects and other types of food they lay in wait for.

Your smelly prawn will attract them from a distance and your bread burley will arouse them into biting.

Do not worry about traces/beads/what line to use etc etc,the already spooled line with your rod and reel will be about 5kg or 10Lbs,that will be strong enough for most basic fish.

Mono or Braid,Mono is the old type of line and Braid has only been around several years,personally I still use mono and I don't think I will ever have a need to use Braid,I like Mono ,Braid reminds me a lot like thick cotton.

Anyway just Google a basic Bream rig and maybe look at the images to get a better idea.

Lure fishing is not as easy to learn as bait fishing,as the smell of your bait and the way it is presented is what attracts the fish,with lures you have to swim the lure like its a small bait fish,so that the other fish think its a real fish and eat it,this is not an easy task when 80% of the time the fish are not in a frenzy aggressive hungry mood,so using a lure to mimic a small fish takes a lot of practice to have a good strike rate even then the fish may not even attack your lure just because their not hungry or your using the wrong type of lure on that day that they decide to have an appetite for a totally different small bait fish,not only that, fish become very spooked if your lure is not acting like their normal food and shy away from it.

Having said that if you do decide later on wanting to learn lure fishing,I would again Google basic lure fishing rigs for the saltwater species you want to target.

Don't be discouraged because you stood there for hours and got nothing (it happens to the best of us,that's fishing )

There are some articles here for you to read on this forum if you like that will explain some ways to catch certain fish,what bait to use and tackle etc.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/articles

Good Luck and Happy Fishing :1welcomeani::fisher:

Edited by DMG

Hi

Some fantastic advice here on specifics which I won't add to as the writers above have covered everything. I do think you need to work out an overall strategy for developing your fishing so that you maximise your enjoyment, safety and success.

I reckon you need to  try a range of fishing styles and techniques, baits etc. You will work out which kinds of fishing you enjoy more than others.

You also need to try a variety of spots in different conditions: tide, wind strength and direction, swell size and direction, flood conditions, time of day and times of year. Just keep at it and keep a track of those conditions and locations which produced fish and after a while you'll know where to go and what to target to maximise your chances of getting a feed.

Over many years of trying lots of fishing styles I ended up chasing blackfish and flathead as my main choices. That being said I still like chasing salmon and tailor, bream and whiting etc but flatties and blackfish are my bread and butter.

Good luck!

Guest Guest123456789

Three words of advice 

FIND

MENTOR

Do this before wasting your money and time buying the wrong stuff, fishing for the wrong species at the wrong places at the wrong time using the wrong strategy.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo