Blue Mountains Fly Fishing

So it was wit hgreat pleasure I got to fish wit hCaddis for a few trout on one of the streams and after many false starts it fianlly came to fruition......finally

So after an early start and an uneventful trip to Penrith I met with Caddis, up off over the Bells Line and to Maccas a quick feed and we were off to the river. Well you can't ask for much better conditons than what we had, calm clear and warm perfect for trout to rise. A quick chat to a fellow who had fished here yesterday for nil did not encourage but off down stream we went! After a long walk we chose spots and I was on as I was releasing my fish ( a bow the best of the day for me at 35cm) I heard the anguished cry of Caddis a good fish had busted him, well few more pools down a lot of small bows Caddis cracks the best fish of the day a cracking brown of around 2 to 2.5lbs that gave a real account for itself it took Caddis a long while to land but the smile! Well it went pretty well lots of fish hitting the surface and all bar a couple caught on the nymph well I'll let the pics talk..........enjoy and lastly Chris is one of lifes true genuine guys an awesome day awesome chat and we'll have to do it again just got to remember no sugar in the coffee and I owe you a single malt and cuban over some fly tying! Oh lastly anyone thats after a rod I rate over the Sage One PM Chrsi and ask about the NS5 from T&T he was generous enough to let me pry it from his hands for a few casts interestingly wher eI was casting after I handed the rod back a fish rises right where I was drifting and yours truly Caddis promptly hooks up! He is a damn good fly fisherman!

post-5131-029572300 1326531870_thumb.jpg

post-5131-088274400 1326532399_thumb.jpg

post-5131-062813200 1326532783_thumb.jpg

Edited by luderick -angler

Nice one Royce and Caddis, the rivers are fishing well at the moment. I had a short session with the fly the other day, lets just say it didn't end well. I felt like snapping the rod after catching every bush, shrub and tree on the river. I think I need more casting practise or a river with no trees :074: .

Cheers, Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Great job guys.

I have done lots of float fishing in Canada(using a center pin). I used to spend days on the river for rainbow trout and salmon. I just moved to Penrith. I would like to start doing more trout fishing up near the mountains now that I live close to the area. Too expensive to chase kingy's around and to run a boat in salt water when you just had a baby:).

Would you guys mind if I PM you for some pointers? I do have my center pin reel and float rod here. I am also considering down sizing my boat to a small tinny for trout fishing. I'm not sure if I'm best trying to catch trout here using a boat or fishing from shore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jembro

• 2 weeks later...

Been mega busy at work but heading up again to "my" river :biggrin2: tomorrow and needed some encouragement reading, instantly provided by Luderick angler, Caddis et al on Fishraider. Great reports guys. Can't wait!!

Noticed there was a neat little rise in the river over the weekend. Never wet waded before, no choice this time as the cheap waders I used last time leaked from the moment they got wet and were binned. Bought some cheapo hiking boots and thick socks, Any wet wading comfort tips?

Hey Jembro if I can catch a trout here anyone can. Guessing you were "float and fly" or "float and jig" fishing? If so just ditch the float as our nearby rivers are modest sized and ultralight spin gear can cast a jig down to about 1/36th oz far enough by itself. At least worked for me a few times!!