Fireline - Bad Batch?

Ken A

I was wondering if anyone else has recently purchased Fireline (4 pound) & had it wear out & start fluffing /fraying very quickly ?

I bought a roll 6 weeks ago that only lasted 4 weeks & had to be swapped around end for end after 2 weeks. Then roughly 2 weeks ago I bought another that was end for ended after a week or so & this morning it was so frayed & fluffed it needed replacing completely. Its not just the last 30 feet that are stuffed either its the end 40 metres that is worn out.

It is getting a lot of work because the bream are thick but even so it should last a lot longer than that.

The new roll came from a batch that had just been delivered so hopefully it will wear better.

Anyone else had similar problems?

I just bought a spool of 4lb pink fireline and i didn't even get 4 trips out of it. It just kept breaking. It didn't help that the line colour faded drastically and got all frizzy after the 1st trip. Highly disappointed with the quality of the line. Shortest lifespan for a spool of fireline i ever had. I honestly hope fireline does better QC for their line. The last thing i would want is to look for an alternative line cause its gonna be so difficult to find another line which can replace it

regards

DArryl

Guest Jocool
I had the same prob with 4lb flame Joe. Was tying up my uni knots and pulling them tight and the fireline would snap about 3 inches up from the knot  :ranting2: Pulled off about 15m and it was fine.

55013[/snapback]

I kept pulling of a meter of each time. Finally just took it in to be replaced!

Hmm any particular color you are all using...I have heard that depending on the color sometimes there are bad batches..something to do with dye, cannot remember which color it was though.

Post your color, we might be able to find some commonality.

Edited by Golden Monk

I bought a spool of 4 lb pink about 8 weeks ago from K-mart. It's a little bit furry, but still as strong as hell after 7 or so uses. I have snagged up twice, and both times the leader knot (8 lb vanish) has broken before the uni knot.

hi all

i us to have all those problems and now i use the squidgy braid in the blue 4lb an 6LB it works a treat no more wind loops it casts great and its strong as hell .. sick of spending all that money and the stuff no good it all ads up in the end..

cheers Dave C :1naughty:

i use the squidgy braid in the blue 4lb an 6LB it works a treat

I tried Squidgy Braid not long back & was not happy with it at all. It had some powder coating on it which caused it to stick on the spool & wouldn't cast worth a damn. I tried it on my light bait rod & it was just as useless. Maybe I got a bad roll? When the squidgy braid popped before my 4 pound leader when I was whiting fishing I said that's it & went home then stripped it off the reel & tossed it in the bin.

Maybe I got a dodgy roll & I would be interested to hear from anyone else who uses Squidgy braid in 4 pound. Any dramas with it?

Guest Jocool
I tried Squidgy Braid not long back & was not happy with it at all.

56209[/snapback]

I was using the Squidgy braid in 10 lb. Granted its on a cheapish reel, but it doesn't lay on the spool worth a damn! Yesterday I let it all out behind the boat, and retrieved it under tension and it made no difference. I'm not too impressed with it either Ken. Looks like I am going to try and find another braid to use. :wacko:

Hi Ken & jocool

what colour were you using, i use the blue,i no the first batch the grey coloured one they had some problems with it,, but the stuff im using does nothing like you said .. it sits on the reals really nice its not sticky and as you cast it it just glides of smooth .... it probably needs to were in like all braid lines

Cheers Dave C

Guest Jocool

I had the blue...and I just looked at it now...and the end of it is looking white! Its crap as far as I can see. :thumbdown:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few problems with the Hi Vis Jarvis walker braid.

The classic was when we were setting the drag on a mates bottom bashing gear (30lb) and the line kept breaking at 8lb.The bad bit was i had just spooled up with 800m of 80lb of the same brand,I double checked the knot and it let go in my hands ........,.

Back to dacron for bottom fishing for a while at least.

I have had a few problems with the Hi Vis Jarvis walker braid.

The classic was when we were setting the drag on a mates bottom bashing gear (30lb) and the line kept breaking at  8lb.The bad bit was i had just spooled up with 800m of 80lb of the same brand,I double checked the knot and it let go in my hands ........,.

Back to dacron for bottom fishing for a while at least.

58747[/snapback]

REKLESS, is this the fluro yellow Jarvis walker braid you can get from Kmart? from memory it was quite cheap, like $40 for a spool or something.

thats pretty bad quality... has anyone else had experience with this line?

Guest Jocool
REKLESS, is this the fluro yellow Jarvis walker braid you can get from Kmart? from memory it was quite cheap, like $40 for a spool or something.

thats pretty bad quality... has anyone else had experience with this line?

59371[/snapback]

I have used that braid...never again. And it wasn't as cheap as you think!

Appparantly its made by Suffix for JW. I was using both 6 and 8 lb line, and I found it frayed and fluffed very severely after only a couple of very short sessions. This made it harder to cast and more suseptible to wind knots as well as tip wrapping! :thumbdown:

Guest bluecod

After reading all about the high quality of Fireline recently - I've decided to get a hold of some XP braid and see how that goes. Any experiences with this sTUFF before I spool up with it?

I tried some of that Jarvis Walker / Suffix braid a while ago & it was shot in no time at all. I only had a few sessions & it had flattened out & was fluffing badly. Wasn't cheap either. That along with Rapala Squidgy Braid is on my "never buy again" list :1naughty:

Guest Jocool
i vow never to use fireline again...

100% mono for me now  :thumbup:

59448[/snapback]

You selling yourself short mate. Braid is defenitely better in some situations.