Boat care - suggestions?

Sheridan

Hi Guys!

I am hoping for some advice on caring for my boat. It was my father's pride and joy, but unfortunately he has passed on and I have a deep need to care for it well.

It is a custom made 4.8m fisher half cabin with a 100hp four stroke motor. (She's a biggy for a beginner to be sure!!). He went out in mostly alone so he customised the trailer himself for easy launch/recovery (drive on/hook on, no winch...). We live at the Central Coast, so she's salt water all of the time.

My main question at the moment is how to care for the hull? There was a tin of Nyalic in the shed but I don't know the last time it was applied. Do you use this or is there something you recommend?

I know to flush the motor with fresh water/muffs after each time out, but someone also told me to inox the motor under the cowling after each use - is this good advice? The motor also has some sort of cooling system flush thingy under the cowling... should I do this?

I have had my license for years and have always cleaned the boat afterwards, but Dad always looked after its needs so I am a little bit lost!

Any help/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Sheridan :thumbup:

**EDIT** Something else just came to mind... I am not sure of the boat/trailer worth, it is currently insured for $33,000... $30k for the boat and motor, $3k for the trailer... is this accurate in your opinion?

post-21824-083805400 1327131298_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sheridan

Hi Guys!

I am hoping for some advice on caring for my boat. It was my father's pride and joy, but unfortunately he has passed on and I have a deep need to care for it well.

It is a custom made 4.8m fisher half cabin with a 100hp four stroke motor. (She's a biggy for a beginner to be sure!!). He went out in mostly alone so he customised the trailer himself for easy launch/recovery (drive on/hook on, no winch...). We live at the Central Coast, so she's salt water all of the time.

My main question at the moment is how to care for the hull? There was a tin of Nyalic in the shed but I don't know the last time it was applied. Do you use this or is there something you recommend?

I know to flush the motor with fresh water/muffs after each time out, but someone also told me to inox the motor under the cowling after each use - is this good advice? The motor also has some sort of cooling system flush thingy under the cowling... should I do this?

I have had my license for years and have always cleaned the boat afterwards, but Dad always looked after its needs so I am a little bit lost!

Any help/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

**EDIT** Something else just came to mind... I am not sure of the boat/trailer worth, it is currently insured for $33,000... $30k for the boat and motor, $3k for the trailer... is this accurate in your opinion?

Im not sure about the flush thing u are talking about, but i have seen a bottle/jar thingy you add to the side of the muffs, you fill it with a flushing agent that helps eliminate corrision within the motor. Apart from that the main thing is a good freshwater wash in and out. I guess there are plenty of other tips that raiders will add :)

Thanks

Inox is a good product & once applied , especially in protected area like under the cowl will last a long time.

Depending on usage , perhaps every 4 - 6 months

The flushing device can be used to flush the motor but I think it only does the actual engine not the leg or water pump. Others may be able to confirm if that is correct.

Using rabbit ears is the most common & think the preffered way to wash

The insurance sounds about right.

Geoff