Reef Magic Weekend Report

We fished Saturday in great conditions apart from the rain and had a frustrating day to say the least. There were plenty of boats out with the Botany tournement on so the radio chater was full on all day with reports of marlin hitting lures but not sticking.

We started of with a small mako on the bait jig while getting bait then headed for the 12 mile to jig for some kings. Had a few hits and landed some small models then the jackets moved in so we headed wider. Unfortunately for us the day ended in no marlin and only seeing sunfish and a massive shark up on the surface near the 12 mile.

When we were heading in we came across a couple of boats hooked up on marlin in close in 40 fathoms and this seemed to be where the fish were all day. Its the first time in a long time we have seen a good run of black marlin in close on bait schools. Seems like the sharks aren't the only ones following them with good reports on marlin from South West Rocks, Port Stephens, Sydney & Wollongong all in close. Its the old story... find the bait.. find the fish.

A few efforts worth mentioning from Saturday were Tantrum losing a nice fish on the leader, Ungry getting a nice black in close & Blood & Guts landing a massive 397kg tiger shark on 15kg. While Shakara was on fire with 4 fish for the day.

Sunday was highlighted by Online fighting a solid black in close for 3 hours only to lose it after getting him to the leader 3 times.. bad luck boys. Unfortunately Sunday will also be remembered for a boat going down - apparently while backing up on a fish. Thankfully everyone got off safely and were picked up by another boat.

If anyone else has any more information let us know.

Anyway the fishing seems to be hotting up and hopefully weather permitting we will be heading to Port Stephens on Friday to start doing charters up there. If anyone is interested give me a call.

Cheers Damo

Hi Damo,

Saw you circling us while we fought our 70kg black Saturday after noon. Unfortunately it was deep the time you were there.Did you have any baits or lures out?

The bite continued after you run in with us raising a double header around 6pm of Striped marlin releasing another around 70kg ...... Awesome fun fishing that shallow, great for the fuel bill.

Hopefully the fish hang in close.

Cheers

Roddy

Hi Rod,

Yeah Mike rang me.. well done ...I thought it was him on the rod and looked like you almost had him up then saw the bugger go deep and knew you would be there for a while. They can be very determined little buggers. Our punters had had enough of the sea & beer and wanted to head for the pub. We almost dropped them off and came back out. There was another boat just inside you guys who was also hooked up and as headed off I marked 4 fish on a bait ball even further in closer.

Anyway hopefully the weather will be nice, although it doesn't look to flash for the weekend. You guys heading up to Port?

Cheers Damo

Yes its good to see a close in bite. Like many of us I hope it hangs around. Just have to get this weather to give us break :1badmood:

Was at the weighstation at Botany Bay GFC as we were also fishing the tournament. Some good sharks weighed, Sydney GFC boat, Blood'N'Guts, got a nice Tiger, 396kgs on 15kg on the Saturday & backed it up with another one Sunday (not sure of weight) Botany Bay GFC boat,Sniper also got a good Tiger at 288kgs on 15kg. Home Strait from Bass Strait GFC got a cracker of a Mako shark on the Sunday 373kgs on 15kgs. Heaviest marlin was 95.5kg black to Sydney GFC boat Ungry.

Champion boat tag& release was Greyhounder from Wollongong GFC

Champion boat capture was Blood 'N' Guts from Sydney GFC

There was also a nice Blue Marlin weighed by "My Way". I beleave at 167kgs on 24kg. Unfortunately they were not entered in the tournament.

There was a tournament boat which capsized down south near Bellambi while hooked up. If not for the quick thinking of the crew on Sydney GFC boat Casey who were also fighting a fish & cut theres off to race to the assistance of the up turned vessel & pluck all who were on board to safety . A major loss of life was averted. Big thumbs up to the crew of Casey :thumbup:And a big well done also to Neil at Tournament Base who co-ordinated the rescue . Also a big thank you from all in the fishing community. :thumbup:post-6612-021148600 1327474478_thumb.jpgpost-6612-045094000 1327474529_thumb.jpg

Good to hear everyone safe from the accident.

Tell me why is there a tag and release culture for marlin but not for shark?

I am a game fisherman as well and have fished a few tournaments where it was all about tagging fish and you would only kill the "shit fish" for weigh in. The shit fish were fish you ate.

I just don't see the point in killing a 90kg Blue. I mean come on it's not a trophy fish. Nor do I see the point in killing a magnificent tiger, mako, bronzy or white just to show how big your nuts are. There needs to be a new system in my opinion so we stop seeing people needlessly murder amazing predators.

Don't get me wrong im not saying don't bring home a feed but who is going to eat a half tonne of shark?

Just a thought guys and I am not after an argument. Maybe im missing something I don't know?

Anyway good fishing to you all

Lineclass its a great feeling tracin a shark that big!. As to the capsized boat, apparently it was backing down on a fish and wore a couple over the back. So a big hint to all those out there in small boats with outboards. Never back down on a fish, circle fish it. Your boat and outboard are designed to go forward not backwards. Heaps of other reasons but not going into it now.

Edited by finin

the biggest mako I've traced and noosed was 150kg mate and it was an awesome feeling, especially in a small boat. The boat that went down was a 27ft Cobia, a big yank CC that had a couple of twin 200 yammies on the back so heaps of weight. This thing would naturally sit bum down, so add reversing, fairly average conditions, an angler down the back, and yeah, backing down on a fish wouldn't have been a real good idea. At least everyones OK and the rest of us get to learn a lesson.

• 3 weeks later...

Its within the rules of the Gamefishing Clubs and until it changes there is no discussion.

Be mindful of the site rules on this as well.

Every time this is brought up there is a SHIT FIGHT .

Admin

Sorry mate,

Just had a little moment of passion and it all came out.

I will keep it to myself in future.

Cobba