Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished early this morning off Lilli Pilli for a couple of tailor on pilchards and a couple of bream on bait. Little reddies stealing baits as usual.

Was a bit quiet, then fish started splashing away from the boat. Thought they would stop but they didn't, so up anchor and motored over. There were tiny fish, 1 to 2 cms long, being attacked by anchovies, pilchards, and occasionally some bigger fish. Tried a couple of different lures among the fish for only 2 tailor. The other fish were not interested, appeared to be frigates, with an occasional small kingie and maybe salmon. Dropped the lure into the foaming water many times for not a bite. Let the lure sink deep, but that only produced a yellowtail. When I cut the yellowtail up later, it had a 5cm tailor in it's stomach, swallowed whole.

The fish eventually moved off, so I headed to Mainbar, pumped some nippers and drifted around there for 5 whiting to 34cm.

I was speaking to one of the boys at the bait shop at Sylvania Heights a couple of days ago. He told me that last week, one of his customers was fishing off Lilli Pilli baths with a burley bomb tied to some rope. When he finished fishing, he pulled the burley bomb in, but it was grabbed by a bull shark about 1.5 metres long, and that was the end of that. Back to the shop to buy another one. Also, a scuba diver was checking the net of the Gymea Bay baths a couple of weeks ago, on the outside of the net, when a shadow swam behind him. He turned around to see a bull shark about 3 metres long, just cruising along not far away. He did not stay long in the water after that.

Appears the bull sharks may be around Audley again. Don't know why people swim around Swallow Rock, or let their kids and dogs splash about in the water there!

Yowie.

buddy sharks will always be there just forget about them and thay will leave you alone my son and i swim at swallow rock a lot no probs you should go spearing off ulladulla light house thats where you see the big tigers ther grate

buddy sharks will always be there just forget about them and thay will leave you alone my son and i swim at swallow rock a lot no probs you should go spearing off ulladulla light house thats where you see the big tigers ther grate

Sure, they are always there, but the last thing you want is to get nibbled by a shark, the teeth hurt.

A few years ago, I saw a bull shark over the 2 metre mark on the Georges River near Como Park, leap completely out of the water as it was chasing a school of fish. Spectacular sight.

Hi quick question bout Gymea bay baths, I know there near lilly Pilly and port hacking! Just wanted to ask bout the fishing down there if anyone know how good it is? Also need a street name to he'll assist in getting there..... Is it off Gymea bay baths reserve and is it a long walk?

Thanks

Hi quick question bout Gymea bay baths, I know there near lilly Pilly and port hacking! Just wanted to ask bout the fishing down there if anyone know how good it is? Also need a street name to he'll assist in getting there..... Is it off Gymea bay baths reserve and is it a long walk?

Thanks

A long time since I have walked to the baths. I have fished near it in a boat, but not too often. Have caught a few tailor, reddies, bream, trevally at times.

Thanks

Yes thats the one, off the reserve, not a long walk but fairly steep, lots of stairs. Very good place for squid!!