Thompsons Creek dam

Day One/Saturday.

I almost landed my first Trout on my new fly rod & reel! I say almost.......

I arrived at the dam relatively early, at around 7:30am, and headed towards the west bank. Upon reaching there, I could see that the wind was blowing fairly strongly across the dam, but knew that this would be a great spot to target some fish.

Not long after starting to fish with the new fly rod, I had a great follow, and was encouraged that this was going to be a good day's fishing!

This however, seemed to be the flavour of the day for me, as I proceeded to get follow after follow.

I tried several fly patterns, but just couldn't connect.

I switched to the lure rod, and again had follow after follow, but just couldn't connect.

I Recently purchased some strike indicators to use with a floating fly line, whilst fishing with a submerged nymph. I've never used them before, but thought I would give them a go.

I cast out my line with a small gold bead head green nymph, and sat down for a quick rest, placing my rod on the bank.

I glanced away for a few seconds...When I looked back, I could see that the indicator had disappeared under the water!

I picked up the rod, tightened up he slack line and sure enough I was on!

It felt solid...Bang! Right in front of me, a hefty female rainbow lept out of the water like a rocket fuelled torpedo!

I got a good look at her, and I estimate she was between 6-8LB if not bigger.

She proceeded to go on a big run to my left, straight towards a submerged bush.

I applied as much side strain as I could, but could not stop her! With that, it was all over, she had got the leader tangled up in the bush.

I went over and could see her, around 3 metres down a steep drop off, caught up in the bush.

I tried for several minutes to get the line untangled, but soon realized that it was hopeless.

I snapped the line, thinking to myself, oh well, you don't always land them all.

Not long afterwards, I actually saw the fish swimming near the surface for a brief moment, so I think she got out of that bush, thankfully.

In hindsight, I thought I should have just held the line, and let fate decide what happens, but its all too easy looking back to say such things.

I was using 6LB tippet, so I guess it could have gone either way.

That was the only fish I had on all day. I have several more follows, and one more take on the lure rod.

By this time, it was very late in the day, around 6pm. I moved down towards the east end of the dam.

There was a lot of fish movement near the surface, which was great as I have never seen so many fish rise at TCD, or been around late in the day for the evening rise.

It soon became apparent that the fish were not in fact rising to take food off the top, but sub surface.

A bit later on I saw what they were feeding on....Smelt, or as I had known them, Gudgeon Fry!

There were lots of fly fisherman making there way up to fish, more than I have ever seen before, in all around 15 fisherman rocked up, to fish the evening rise!

It was like a gauntlet for the fish, fly fisherman after fly fisherman trying to hook one of the many good sized trout that were in a feeding frenzy with the fry.

From what I could tell, till I left at around 8pm, no one got a take, let alone hooked one.

If anyone knows of a good fry imitation, please let me know, I would really appreciate it lol!

Day Two/Sunday.

I arrived at the dam quite late, around 11am. I headed out towards the east bank, to try there for the mighty trout.

I saw a few fish moving about, and even had a follow, but things seemed very different to the day before.

There were still several fish attacking the fry, but I knew it was hopeless without a good fly imitation.

I fished on up the bank for a few hours, even cracking out a tassie devil (Which I rarely do, and have never caught on)

To my surprise, I got a take on the tassie devil, but didn't connect.

I was kinda getting tired, two days back to back around TCD can surely take it out of you!

At around 3pm, I changed back to the lure rod, and put on a trusty rainbow pattern "Wobbler", which seems to be one of my favourite lures, which often catches.

I fished for 15 minutes or so, when on a big cast, I let it sink till the line stopped, then began a fairy slow retrieve.

After 2 or 3 winds of the reel handle, bang I was on...

Not long after, I managed to land a cracking 65cm / 5 & 3/4LB Brown Trout.

post-21553-019919400 1327410515_thumb.jpg

post-21553-025104100 1327410536_thumb.png

It can seem to be a tough water at Thompsons Creek dam, but if you stick at it, she will come good with the mighty Trout!

Edited by foolforjesus