Pier 2 disgrace

Heath R

Hi All

Went down to pier 2 early Sat morning for the first time and could not believe what I saw. The place looked like a tip. Empty beer bottles everywhere and the amount of empty bait plastic bags was unbelievable. The smell was just unbareable. I only stayed for ten minutes one group of guys had a bucket full of undersized bream and as I was leaving another guy obviously drunk was urinating on the building. Honestly felt ashamed to be a fisherman.

Robbo

Edited by Heath R

And this is why i refuse to disclose any of my spots on a public forum, seeing "popular" spots end up a bloody mess just makes more and more guarded about keeping the lesser known spots quiet. Just waiting for someone to come out with the "They mustn't be raiders" line that normally comes up in a thread like this, well they may not be, but what about their mate who told them about it or took them there in the first place. These people are a bloody disgrace, I fish a spot on Parra river which has a bin about 10mt from the waters edge and the $#@%&'s are to lazy to walk over to it and put their crap in the bin. I'm normally cleaning up at least 2 plastic bags of rubbish every time i go there.

Ben

Edited by bump73

Hi All

Went down to pier 2 early Sat morning for the first time and could not believe what I saw. The place looked like a tip. Empty beer bottles everywhere and the amount of empty bait plastic bags was unbelievable. The smell was just unbareable. I only stayed for ten minutes one group of guys had a bucket full of undersized bream and as I was leaving another guy obviously drunk was urinating on the building. Honestly felt ashamed to be a fisherman.

Robbo

Unfortunately this is the case on every wharf in Sydney. Sadly it's only a matter of time before all wharves are off limits to us. Perhaps to balance cleanliness with fishing they should take a leaf at what they do in some of the rivers and make the wharves around Sydney Harbour lure fishing only.

Everybody has cameras on their phones so why not take video footage or snap shots then give to fisheries see if they will do anything about it, i doubt not its the honest guys that always get pinned for the slightest little thing :ranting2:

Um.... unless you want to start a physical altercation with the offenders or can do it without being seen, that might not be a great idea...

Not too long ago, I fished at Birkenhead point and there was a guy there keeping undesized bream in a plastic bag in the bushes 5m behind him. I told him many times that he should throw them back but he just laughed and said that smaller fish are tastier. Obviously I'm not going to push my case against a guy who probably weighs double what I do, and who has no problem with breaking the law...but the saddest bit is that there were TWO other men fishing there, who saw it all, and did not once pipe up and put any sort of opinion in there that the guy should put the fish back *cough* cowards *cough*. One even made a taunt about me not letting up about the undersize fish - wtf is wrong with people?! That upset me so much that I left after about 2 minutes after this. I resolved to call up and complain as soon as I got home, but the fisheries are closed after 4pm or so. Fat lot of help there.

I tend to pick up crap every time when I'm at a spot just because I like a clean area and it costs me absolutely nothing to do it... but there is no way to report offenders even if you do see who did it!

Maybe there should be some gov't ad campaign raising awareness about these issues...?

Report them to who ? It's a waste of time ringing fisheries in sydney.

Call into your local fisheries department. They will usually provide you with their personal business card (including mobile number). I have the business cards of our local fisheries boys and they are a great pair of blokes who spend a lot of time patrolling our local waterways.

Cheers

Hodgey

Guest hawkesbass

when i was younger used to fish the piers around the harbour i wont do it now as too many people are using them and leaving a mess everywhere as well as keeping undersized fish the other issue is when you are already fishing a spot others come along and just cast out without asking where you have cast to or see you catch a fish and they fire a cast into your area i have no problems sharing a spot with others just some etiquette is required as this annoys me and i tell them politely to not do it again but one day this will get me in trouble so i avoid these areas for this reason

I don't know how many of you can remeber these as working Piers but I was brought up fishing for luderick on Pier 2, 4 and 6 and in the day if you did not know the guys on the old MSB it was a tough ask getting access later on when they fell into disrepair and locked up those in the know knew where the holes where and could access the spots they were cleaner then than they are now! Side note I was out the end of Pier 2 a fortnight ago chasing luderick yes the very end! And it stank of urine and left over bait amazingly theres bins!!!!! How hard is it to use a bin obviously for some too hard!!!!! Also theres regular security patrol useless as hatfulls od a-holes as the yob element fishing was quite obvious, not long before the owners of this Pier do whay they have done to Pier 5 and 6 close it to fishing! Another issue that does not help is that the nearest public toilet is a mission away under the harbour bridge on George St...still no excuse to do what they do! and whos enforcing the council by laws on drinking bans!!!!!

The point is here, that you are dealing with A#$h0!e$, and there is no shortage of them, especially in heavily populated areas. The purpose of an a&s(-)0lE is to provide an outlet for $!-!i+, and we can all rest assured that they are doing an excellent job it. The evidence for this assumption is overwhelming almost everywhere you go. My front gate is exactly 1 big mac, 1 medium fries and a coke away from the nearest maccas. Must be since I pick up the pig's rubbish on a regular basis. Also 1 can of Woodstock away from the bottlo.

Is there a noticible common characteristic to these overly relaxed sphincters? Yes, of course but you have to look hard to not see it. They either do or don't have a foreskin where their forehead should be.

The point is here, that you are dealing with A#$h0!e$, and there is no shortage of them, especially in heavily populated areas. The purpose of an a&s(-)0lE is to provide an outlet for $!-!i+, and we can all rest assured that they are doing an excellent job it. The evidence for this assumption is overwhelming almost everywhere you go. My front gate is exactly 1 big mac, 1 medium fries and a coke away from the nearest maccas. Must be since I pick up the pig's rubbish on a regular basis. Also 1 can of Woodstock away from the bottlo.

Is there a noticible common characteristic to these overly relaxed sphincters? Yes, of course but you have to look hard to not see it. They either do or don't have a foreskin where their forehead should be.

Well said and :Funny-Post:

• 2 weeks later...

Going back in the 80s when there where no bins , and people started dumping their rubbish in the right top end corner , the pile just got bigger and bigger, not only that but during the night they also used that spot as a toilet.... number 2s.... the smell was so bad that you could not stand near that spot , not only that but the council had to send a couple of council workers with a ute and shovels to clean the place up, shortly after that they stopped people from fishing there all together, there was also a time when they had the front gate locked, Question is where are all the people going to fish once they ban fishing of that wharf,

against a guy who probably weighs double what I do, and who has no problem with breaking the law...but the saddest bit is that there were TWO other men fishing there, who saw it all,

I tend to pick up crap every time when I'm at a spot just because I like a clean area and it costs me absolutely nothing to do it... but there is no way to report offenders even if you do see who did it!

Maybe there should be some gov't ad campaign raising awareness about these issues...?

Hear that... Govt campaign won't do jack - like anything, its individuals that make a difference. Suppose thats partly why we tend to fish out of Syd - some of our favourite spots got overrun. I know you need to be careful, but the only govt interaction that would be positive would be to add funding to fisheries to be able to police such behaviour. I'm betting a lot of fishraiders would jump at a position as a fisheries (or PT) officer.