Recent trips in the Hacking

fanatic

G’day raiders,

Haven’t made a decent post in a long time. Decided to give fishing a really good go in January. Fished the Hacking, it’s beautiful for fishing IMO, as it has good open water ways and is clean (no toxins). Managed a couple of really memorable sessions in January and I’ve compiled them into this report...enjoy!

First trip of the month was fishing Offshore Cronulla. First thing when I got up, took the tablets and again before heading out. We encountered good conditions. Sunny and warm, light wind and light swell. I was very excited but unfortunately I still got sea sick :puke:

When you’re sea sick last thing you wonna do is do anything. I didn’t even have the strength to balance myself on the shaky deck to put bait on my hook, so I decided to take it easy and have a snooze, while still holding on to my rod at a funny angle aha. With a big open ocean and a pillie on the end of my line for offering I knew my changes were good. There had to be a taker out there, right? Soon enough my rod began to slowly load. For some reason I thought it’d be a shark, probably cos I was in La La Land, feeling terrible. All I could feel was really heavy dead weight and I assumed it would be a BIG patch of lovely seaweed. However, on board comes my first Shovelnose Shark. I guess I was correct about the species, just not the kind I expected haha. Quick snap and I put this guy back in the drink.

Heading home feeling beaten down and without any worthy catch I decide to sneak in a few more casts from my mate’s jetty as the boat was getting unloaded, washed etc. I cast into a nice reef that is in pretty deep water. About 20 minutes later and a number of snags I get lucky! First, a 30cm Bream and as the sun was setting, with hardly any light left, I bring up this 37cm Snapper. My PB land based Snapper. I was Buzzing :banana:

I went from an ultimate low to finishing on a high. Gotta love the suspense and uncertainty that comes with fishing.

I also managed a couple of land based sessions around the Hacking area with my mate. I got dusted a few times on my light outfit and wasn’t sure what it was so I decide to pull out my bigger rod to see if I could “get even” with whichever species of fish was lurking around and getting the better of me. Though in the back of my mind I was expecting the worst i.e. a stinky Stingray. I eventually got another chance and it turned out to be a powerful Salmon. This Salmon measured in at 66cm (2.3kg gutted). I felt the mission was complete and I conquered this species of fish. Cooked the fillets (removed the red meat) in the oven, wrapped in foil, with lots of butter, roughly chopped garlic and some sliced red onions. Salt, pepper and boiled spuds. Yum!!

All in all, it was nice to be out on the water and hooking onto powerful fish. Awesome adrenaline rush!!

Also, I threw in a pic of a 39cm Bream that I managed to net. Yes, believe it or not I got it with a net. I think a predator attacked and stunned it as it just cruised into my net when I stuck it out in front of it. You can see a mark on its nose. I think it’s where it got attacked. I’ve seen breams missing chunks of their dorsal fins from being attacked sometime previously in their lifetime but never this. Any ideas what would attack a large bream like this one? (See pic)

Tackle and Rig used for Salmon:

6500 sized reel

8ft solid tip rod

30lb mono line

20lb mono trace (about 30cm long)

Small swivel

Small running sinker (6 ounce I think)

A whole pillie on 3 circle hooks (yes very unorthodox)

Tackle and Rig used for other species:

2500 sized Shimano reel

6’6ft soft tip rod

8lb braid

15lb mono trace

Small swivel

Small running sinker

Cubed pillies on small circle hooks

Tight lines :fishing1:

post-12817-009289000 1328166067_thumb.jpg

post-12817-059063800 1328166089_thumb.jpg

post-12817-001330200 1328166111_thumb.jpg

post-12817-026580700 1328166130_thumb.jpg

post-12817-027850300 1328166162_thumb.jpg

What sea sick pills do you use? I was getting really bad sea sickness and switched to Kwells after reading a few reviews, they made me drowsy as hell so the perfect combo I've worked out is 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, 2 kwells and 2 no doze. No, and I mean NO milk !! I started off not eating anything or drinking anything on the boat, then started nibbling on salada crackers and now I can eat a whole packet of kettle chips, an usually a bottle of water, if u find a little bit of water makes u sick try lemonade, worked a treat!

Nice snapper btw ! I'm jealous !

whats the go with the latex gloves with the sambo bro ?????

Do you clean fish without gloves? :huh:

What sea sick pills do you use? I was getting really bad sea sickness and switched to Kwells after reading a few reviews, they made me drowsy as hell so the perfect combo I've worked out is 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, 2 kwells and 2 no doze. No, and I mean NO milk !! I started off not eating anything or drinking anything on the boat, then started nibbling on salada crackers and now I can eat a whole packet of kettle chips, an usually a bottle of water, if u find a little bit of water makes u sick try lemonade, worked a treat!

Nice snapper btw ! I'm jealous !

They were Kwells tablets. I avoid food prior to heading out all together. Fluids are fine. I usually have Up N Go, sport drinks, water etc. for breakfast. Good Luck B)

G’day raiders,

Haven’t made a decent post in a long time. Decided to give fishing a really good go in January. Fished the Hacking, it’s beautiful for fishing IMO, as it has good open water ways and is clean (no toxins). Managed a couple of really memorable sessions in January and I’ve compiled them into this report...enjoy!

First trip of the month was fishing Offshore Cronulla. First thing when I got up, took the tablets and again before heading out. We encountered good conditions. Sunny and warm, light wind and light swell. I was very excited but unfortunately I still got sea sick :puke:

When you’re sea sick last thing you wonna do is do anything. I didn’t even have the strength to balance myself on the shaky deck to put bait on my hook, so I decided to take it easy and have a snooze, while still holding on to my rod at a funny angle aha. With a big open ocean and a pillie on the end of my line for offering I knew my changes were good. There had to be a taker out there, right? Soon enough my rod began to slowly load. For some reason I thought it’d be a shark, probably cos I was in La La Land, feeling terrible. All I could feel was really heavy dead weight and I assumed it would be a BIG patch of lovely seaweed. However, on board comes my first Shovelnose Shark. I guess I was correct about the species, just not the kind I expected haha. Quick snap and I put this guy back in the drink.

Heading home feeling beaten down and without any worthy catch I decide to sneak in a few more casts from my mate’s jetty as the boat was getting unloaded, washed etc. I cast into a nice reef that is in pretty deep water. About 20 minutes later and a number of snags I get lucky! First, a 30cm Bream and as the sun was setting, with hardly any light left, I bring up this 37cm Snapper. My PB land based Snapper. I was Buzzing :banana:

I went from an ultimate low to finishing on a high. Gotta love the suspense and uncertainty that comes with fishing.

I also managed a couple of land based sessions around the Hacking area with my mate. I got dusted a few times on my light outfit and wasn’t sure what it was so I decide to pull out my bigger rod to see if I could “get even” with whichever species of fish was lurking around and getting the better of me. Though in the back of my mind I was expecting the worst i.e. a stinky Stingray. I eventually got another chance and it turned out to be a powerful Salmon. This Salmon measured in at 66cm (2.3kg gutted). I felt the mission was complete and I conquered this species of fish. Cooked the fillets (removed the red meat) in the oven, wrapped in foil, with lots of butter, roughly chopped garlic and some sliced red onions. Salt, pepper and boiled spuds. Yum!!

All in all, it was nice to be out on the water and hooking onto powerful fish. Awesome adrenaline rush!!

Also, I threw in a pic of a 39cm Bream that I managed to net. Yes, believe it or not I got it with a net. I think a predator attacked and stunned it as it just cruised into my net when I stuck it out in front of it. You can see a mark on its nose. I think it’s where it got attacked. I’ve seen breams missing chunks of their dorsal fins from being attacked sometime previously in their lifetime but never this. Any ideas what would attack a large bream like this one? (See pic)

Tackle and Rig used for Salmon:

6500 sized reel

8ft solid tip rod

30lb mono line

20lb mono trace (about 30cm long)

Small swivel

Small running sinker (6 ounce I think)

A whole pillie on 3 circle hooks (yes very unorthodox)

Tackle and Rig used for other species:

2500 sized Shimano reel

6’6ft soft tip rod

8lb braid

15lb mono trace

Small swivel

Small running sinker

Cubed pillies on small circle hooks

Tight lines :fishing1:

Nothing worse than sea sickness , especially after using the kwells.

But atleast you nailed a shovel nose out there before coming in.

Great work on catching a good sized snapper from in the hacking

Great post

Chris.