Broken Bay and Terrigal FADS on Saturday

saltrix

Got the offer of a trip to the Broken Bay and Terrigal FADS with a mate which I took up with memories of some catches I made off the Sydney FAD, and reports of the more distant FADS being better.

post-3961-042662300 1328412490_thumb.jpg

Coming out of Broken Bay the weather looked to be improving and we picked up some yakkas on the way out.

It is a long way out to the Terrigal FAD and we found 3 other boats there, but no action or fish showing on the sounder, so after 1/2 hour trying we set out to the Broken Bay FAD in the hope that would be better. The wind had got up a bit and it was a bit lumpy.

On the way I trolled a small feather Xmas tree and hooked a stripey, it came along to the boat very easily and I thought my fishbait problems would be solved for a while but when it saw the boat it took off like a rocket and I was a bit slow getting the rod away from the boat and the line hit the gunwhale and broke. I then rigged another smaller Xmas tree on a 60lb trace and we set off again. The reel screamed again and even with the 30lb braid and a heavy drag I watched the 200m line disappear to the backing before I could slow it down. I played it for about 10 minutes out wide gaining and losing line and then it went deep and forward of the boat. Then the line went limp and I retrieved it to find about the last 3 metres of line frayed.

I reckon I had a marlin on which frayed the line when it went forward. I did not have enough drag on to break the 30lb braid and it is a clear bottom out there at 100m.

The Broken Bay FAD again had a 3 or 4 boats but little action. One boat I saw hit a school and got a couple of U/S and 1 good fish but after an hour all gave up and left. We were fishing both live baits and pilchards, but I think the fish I saw caught were taken on something smaller.

We then gave up and headed in, running into a school of dolphins which came over to the boat to investigate as they usually do. We stopped the boat and I snapped some pics although I missed the best jumps.

post-3961-095307600 1328413692_thumb.jpg

By the time we got to the 45m mark the day had improved with the sun out and calm seas, so as we were fishless we decided to spened a few minutes bottom bashing, and my mate caught 3 flathead in quick succession. The eastern blue spot were 47 cm each and the tiger a bit smaller. Not the good catch of mahi mahi we would have liked but at least fish for tea.

post-3961-016085400 1328414672_thumb.jpg

Got the offer of a trip to the Broken Bay and Terrigal FADS with a mate which I took up with memories of some catches I made off the Sydney FAD, and reports of the more distant FADS being better.

post-3961-042662300 1328412490_thumb.jpg

Coming out of Broken Bay the weather looked to be improving and we picked up some yakkas on the way out.

It is a long way out to the Terrigal FAD and we found 3 other boats there, but no action or fish showing on the sounder, so after 1/2 hour trying we set out to the Broken Bay FAD in the hope that would be better. The wind had got up a bit and it was a bit lumpy.

On the way I trolled a small feather Xmas tree and hooked a stripey, it came along to the boat very easily and I thought my fishbait problems would be solved for a while but when it saw the boat it took off like a rocket and I was a bit slow getting the rod away from the boat and the line hit the gunwhale and broke. I then rigged another smaller Xmas tree on a 60lb trace and we set off again. The reel screamed again and even with the 30lb braid and a heavy drag I watched the 200m line disappear to the backing before I could slow it down. I played it for about 10 minutes out wide gaining and losing line and then it went deep and forward of the boat. Then the line went limp and I retrieved it to find about the last 3 metres of line frayed.

I reckon I had a marlin on which frayed the line when it went forward. I did not have enough drag on to break the 30lb braid and it is a clear bottom out there at 100m.

The Broken Bay FAD again had a 3 or 4 boats but little action. One boat I saw hit a school and got a couple of U/S and 1 good fish but after an hour all gave up and left. We were fishing both live baits and pilchards, but I think the fish I saw caught were taken on something smaller.

We then gave up and headed in, running into a school of dolphins which came over to the boat to investigate as they usually do. We stopped the boat and I snapped some pics although I missed the best jumps.

post-3961-095307600 1328413692_thumb.jpg

By the time we got to the 45m mark the day had improved with the sun out and calm seas, so as we were fishless we decided to spened a few minutes bottom bashing, and my mate caught 3 flathead in quick succession. The eastern blue spot were 47 cm each and the tiger a bit smaller. Not the good catch of mahi mahi we would have liked but at least fish for tea.

post-3961-016085400 1328414672_thumb.jpg

good looking photos there mate. sounds like you had a chance :1fishing1:

was at broken bay FAD sunday morning - the water was 20.5c most of the way (green) untill about 4 miles from the fad it jumped to 23.5c and glorious blue. could explain the marlin you hooked!

managed 3 x dollies undersized. there were heaps there jumping around but shy. nice marlin bait ! all were caught on pilchards and 1st 1/2 hour of light. looking forward to them growing up.

got a few nanniguy at 60metres on the way back. nothing else.