Kingie Rod Suggestions?

rjc123

what price range are yo after? rod can start really cheap around $50 all the way no customer high end ones. what type of fishing will you be doing? from a boat, land or jetty?

Edited by dexlious

Boat/Jetty but don't want to go longer than 7'. Anything up to $180 would be ideal. I'm happy to go for something sub $100 if it will do the job well. It will mainly just be used for livebaiting.

wilson live fibre 15-24kg, 7 foot long and perfect for live baiting kings and jews, around 200 but well worth the money mate, can take a lot of punishment. Ive got a couple of $400 jig rods that I use for baiting kings and I much prefer the live fibre model.

A Shimano T-curve bluewater series 15-24kg 7ft, Probably a bit pricey though (I just paid $275 for one) but will never let you down. I would agree that the live fibre is the cheaper option and probably best if you don't want to outlay too much cashola... It will still get the job done very well. You also wont find what you are looking for for any less, I recently have done the same thing and settled with the T-curve matched with a Saragosa 14000 and havn't looked back. It is most definitely a forever unit and will catch more fish than it is worth by the time I am done with it. :thumbup:

Depends on where you are fishing. If you are over a shallow reef fishing off the rocks or boat and a kingy tries to make strides to the bottom (as they usually do) you want to be able to turn his head before he reaches it, if you have a big fish on there and he wants to get away with a 15kg rod and reel chances are you will get dusted but in saying that if they are smaller fish you will have a blast. With a good 7-8ft 25kg rod there aren't many kingies and jewies that will get you, BUT you will still get dusted sometimes ;)

If you are fishing over deeper water and away from rocks and sharp edges or on a gutter as the estuary meets the ocean or on a beach a 15kg rod will definitely land you a kingy or jewie as big as the 24kg as long as you play it well!

Depends on where you are fishing. If you are over a shallow reef fishing off the rocks or boat and a kingy tries to make strides to the bottom (as they usually do) you want to be able to turn his head before he reaches it, if you have a big fish on there and he wants to get away with a 15kg rod and reel chances are you will get dusted but in saying that if they are smaller fish you will have a blast. With a good 7-8ft 25kg rod there aren't many kingies and jewies that will get you, BUT you will still get dusted sometimes ;)

If you are fishing over deeper water and away from rocks and sharp edges or on a gutter as the estuary meets the ocean or on a beach a 15kg rod will definitely land you a kingy or jewie as big as the 24kg as long as you play it well!

Thanks mate,

I will mainly be fishing deepish water (10-20m) in the harbour and pittwater with no too much structure so 15kg sho0uld be fine.