Fishing Tasmania

Howdy Raiders,

Over the weekend my fiance had an orchestral gig in Hobart. Being the canny guy I am, and knowing that there is some good hopper fishing in Tassie at the moment, I thought about booking in a guide and joining the missus.

Thought about it for all of five seconds. Then booked it up.

Saturday dawned beautifully in Hobart, a big change from the weather left behind in Sydney. I was picked up at about 0630 and we made our way down to the Huon.

post-17523-033328300 1328608841_thumb.jpg

I was a little bit rusty having not fly fished for a month or so, and wasn't too surprised to not catch any fish in the Huon. We moved up a little side stream and tied on a parachute hopper. I was fishing a 2 weight and after some adjustment to the casting stroke I was able to lay out the short casts and turn over a 12 foot leader. We worked upstream, fishing tactically with lots of roll and side casting, and eventually I was rewarded with a smallish brown.

post-17523-004666700 1328609043_thumb.jpg

A few more small browns came to hand but overall the morning was pretty slow. Roger had told me that this was a fairly common situation, and assured me the fishing would fire up in the afternoon. He also told me about a small, overgrown stream that was rumoured to contain a small population of wild brook trout. Well, colour me interested, and after lunch we went further into the wilderness seeking out the brookies.

The stream was quite narrow, shallow, and carved a tunnel through the overhanging vegetation. As we crossed a bridge I spotted a trout out the window of the car, hanging out in about a foot of water. I mentally noted the location for when we were in the water and working upstream. We bush bashed in further down, and began working our way up river.

I spooked a few fish in shallow water, and missed a strike on the parachute hopper while stripping off some line for a roll cast. The number of fish, however, was encouraging. My roll casting was improving (through necessity), and I was getting some good drifts in good locations. I felt it was just a matter of time until I was connected to a fish.

Some more stealthing up river saw us arrive near the bridge where I had previously seen the trout. I could see a shape lurking and rolled out the fly. The fish came up to the fly, looked at it, and swirled over the top. I was hooked up - and this fish felt bigger than it looked. On landing the brown trout, I noticed why - it was hooked in the pelvic fin. A quick release with the forceps and he went back to learn the error of his ways.

Further up river was a particularly overgrown section - but I could see some fish rising so approached on my knees in the water. I had to side cast and keep the loop tight, as there were overhanging trees and not much room to my right.

post-17523-061838100 1328610252_thumb.jpg

I managed to get a cast in and almost straight away there was a gentle slurping and up went the rod. All of a sudden there was a nice bend in the 2 weight.

post-17523-069908400 1328610377_thumb.jpg

This fish fought well, and as I got it closer to me and saw the colouring, I got increasingly nervous as I knew I was connected to my first brook trout! Eventually it was netted, and I was stoked.

post-17523-002213500 1328610435_thumb.jpg

The fish measured close to 16 inches (let's say 15.5) and I estimated the weight at about a pound and a half. I know it's not a huge fish but, not seeing a brook trout record (on fly) I would like to submit it to the records section!

After releasing the fish I was on a high and more than happy to call it a day. But there was a lovely looking pool just around the corner and Roger wanted to see what was in there. So I crept up on the rocks and delivered the parachute hopper to a likely looking lie.

post-17523-068965300 1328610616_thumb.jpg

Another gentle slurp, up went the rod, and the line started running out from between my fingers. I was working the rod at all angles trying to turn this fishes head, and after about five minutes had it ready for the net.

post-17523-037384100 1328610747_thumb.jpg

post-17523-034773800 1328610764_thumb.jpg

This fish went a solid 20 inches, but weighed a little less than the length would suggest - estimated about 2.5 pounds. What a way to finish the day, I though. Roger had other ideas and suggested that I cast to where he thought he saw a fish rise. Done and done, and a little brown was brought to hand. Two wild browns in two casts - puts a lot of pressure on the hat trick delivery. The fly went out, I took in some line, and then another slurping take saw me connected to a hat trick fish! Only a small brown but, hey, nobody mentions the fact that Peter Siddle got his birthday hat trick against tail enders.

All in all it was a great day fishing and I learned a lot. Ten fish came to the hand including my first brook trout and personal best brown (on fly), and they were all taken on the dry. I am increasingly falling in love with Tasmania.

Angus.

Good Report Angus.

I fished some rivers that feed into the Huon. We will have to compare notes one day.

Looks like you had good waether, that is half the battle.

You mentioned dry but not grashoppers. We they as off the Agenda as they were in the Snowies?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The weather was perfect. Maybe a little too sunny in the morning, the fish were very easily spooked.

All the fish were taken on a parachute 'hopper - in fact it was the only dry fly used all day. There were a fair few grasshoppers leaping in the grass as we walked to the river so that gave us all the encouragement needed.

A few of the fish (the big brown for one) weren't even rising in the pool, but were obviously willing to look up to a tasty 'hopper presented to a likely location.

That looks like so much fun. What a beautiful little river and gorgeous trout. Great report and pics. The big brown is special. And congrats on the first brook trout!! Do you have a closeup?

Edited by bombora