Baitrunner suggestions

niclebum

From memory I think there is a post around here that talks through the makeup of the Shimano v others. If memory serves correct the post mentioned Shimano getting the tick for the first baitrunner??? We've had two of the Shimano's in different sizes and only been able to compare to a no name online shop brand - shimano definitely gets the thumbs up for a baitrunner as long as you take care of it.

Edited by SCOTTYB

From memory I think there is a post around here that talks through the makeup of the Shimano v others. If memory serves correct the post mentioned Shimano getting the tick for the first baitrunner??? We've had two of the Shimano's in different sizes and only been able to compare to a no name online shop brand - shimano definitely gets the thumbs up for a baitrunner as long as you take care of it.

Cheers SCOTTYB

No worries - funnily enough, over the past few years I've been slowly switching to Daiwa reels, but never used a Daiwa Baitrunner. The others seem to go great guns, with the exception of one small 2000 size reel that was 2nd hand - just seems to get dry and gritty faster than the others.

Hi Raiders,

I want to buy a baitrunner for bait fishing for bread and butter species and anything that comes by. I want to get a shimano or daiwa reel of the 2500 sizing. My price range is around $100-130

Couldn't find the post I was thinking of but this post may help you clarify your thinking...

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=58885&st=0&p=420592&hl=+shimano%20+baitrunner&fromsearch=1entry420592

Very hard to beat shimano but I rate Okuma very high. Hard to beat as a value for money offering plus a lifetime warranty is awesome. I have a trio and a salina and will be ordering a big corondona bait feeder next week for the kings.

Hi Raiders,

I want to buy a baitrunner for bait fishing for bread and butter species and anything that comes by. I want to get a shimano or daiwa reel of the 2500 sizing. My price range is around $100-130

Why would you need a baitrunner reel for a reel that size? Even on the lightest baitrunner setting any thing you are most likely to target will feel the weight of the baitrunner drag and drop the bait even if you've got in positioned it in horizontal rod holders and a super soft rod. I reckon you'd have far more success fishing with an open bail arm and letting line out or after you have cast have a rubber band on your rod grip just infront of the spool and tuck line underneath it and pull out a metre or so of the line off the spool fishing the reel with the bail arm in gear.

In my opinion baitrunner's have their place but only while fishing live baits.

Mate i'd try stay clear of the daiwa baitrunners.....the regal in particular. I had bought a larger one for my jews, the secondary drag only lasted three big runs before it gave up the ghost, it was only 5 weeks old when i returned it. While i love my saltiga surf, two sols and a tierra i would not go back to diawa for the baitrunner. i have a 6500 B shimano baitrunner and it hasnt missed a beat.

Hope this helps

Mick