How i started SP fishing.

sean221

I have just recently started using soft plastics about early last year and i find it so much better than throwing in some bait and just waiting for a fish to come by and eat it, so it started when my girlfriend bought me a sp rod on online shop, one of those cheap 'Palegic' brand rods, and no joke first the tip friggen snapped off. So if ur planning to buy their rods DO NOT BY PALEGIC GEAR!. anyways i could still fish with it as i had a daiwa sweepfire 2000 reel on it spooled up with 6lb fireline and 8lb flurocarbon leader.

I live in sydney so i went to the usual cabarita warf to try out the outfit while the mrs went for some exercise.

I used 50mm wriggler squidgies on a squidgie jighead (forgot what size), and started the session. i walked up and doen the shore line of the bay along the rocks, and around 20 mins into the session, a fish grabbed my line, with my drag on not very tight i played around with it and let it run. Then up came my first fish on a Soft plastic. To be honest i was surprised that i caught something on my first sp session. It was a Just legal Flathead. Showed my mrs. and then let the flattie go on its way.

Using sp is so much more fun then using bait, and i love the fact you can feel the fish take it and run off with it. These are a few pics of some of the fish i now catch on sp. Although they are not big, they are fun to play around with.

post-19575-056944400 1329294698_thumb.jpg

post-19575-082735900 1329294683_thumb.gif

When i have time i usually go to cabarita and bay view parks and just move up and down the bay flicking with the wind, and so far havnt had a session where i havnt caught anything.

And to add to the story, my Mrs bought me a new rod for valetines day, a new sp outfit. Its a shakespear synergy sp combo spooled up with 1lb crystal fireline and 6lb flurocarbon. had a few casts with it today and goes more than 25m easy. I also have added few more sp to my collection and a series of lighter jigheads so slow down the sinking rate.

Any tips or comment will be appreciated.

Sean221.

Edited by Sean221

you might want to try the edith walker hospital next to concord hospital.there is a path near th left side of the main gate /roundabout which leads to the shoreline.Try either side of the stone boathouse as the trawlers used to target a hole which is about 50 to 60 metres off the shore.This is the jewy hole that feeds kissing point wharf and i have personaly seen 45 pound jew taken there.Tight lines.

you might want to try the edith walker hospital next to concord hospital.there is a path near th left side of the main gate /roundabout which leads to the shoreline.Try either side of the stone boathouse as the trawlers used to target a hole which is about 50 to 60 metres off the shore.This is the jewy hole that feeds kissing point wharf and i have personaly seen 45 pound jew taken there.Tight lines.

Oh yeah, ive sussedthat place out on google maps. Its behing that big old mental hospital building or something ay. Thanks fortheheadsup, might have a go there, throw in the heavy rod and flick.round with the sp rod. Cheers!