Cheekii's latest fishing adventure

cheekiifisher

Where do I start. As you all know I have really been trying to get my soft plastics working as everyone has been telling me how much fun you really do have with them! Well I have experienced the fun for sure now and am well and truly hooked.

Last night I went up to ettalong again with ma and pa off the boat I got there around 4pm. First I brought a squid lure as I would like to catch a squid so on I tie it and out it goes. No luck at all unfortunately snagged in the weeds twice to the point I though I was going to loose my new lure but pa's fabulous boating skills and driving around the line we managed to save it. With no action on it time to give up. It was time to pull the soft plastics out.

Curried chicken was my choice for the day and what a great choice it was. About my 3 cast out with it I was onto something, a little undersized flat head. I was stocked. Then another cast out and I was onto something bigger then I have ever had. Pa's going keep your rod tip up, let the tension do the work, I realize I had no idea what I was doing with a big fish :) kept reeling it in and i let the rod tip down again and it heading to the back of the boat pa has gone get you rod tip up again and reel it in. It came to the surface and a massive flatty at the end of the line I start to squel and giggle and loose concentration on what I am suppose to be doing. Pa again goes rod tip up swim it into the net. By this stage we are getting close to a boat and need to start moving the boat the flatty is on board and we are moving. She is flapping and swishing all around the boat, I was so overwhelmed with excitement and a little fear as it was the biggest fish I have ever caught or seen I had no idea what I was to do lucky pa was there. He picked her up and she was beautiful and I actually finally measured a decent catch. 80cm and pa said she was 10 pounds. I still cannot wipe the smile off my face. Pic to come.

We continued fishing ma got caught a few undersized bream and a under sized flat head as well. So we could say the girls were pretty lucky on this trip. With me getting 4 undersized flattys and the big momma. By this stage pa had not caught anything. Poor thing take the girls out and get nothing. But we moved to half tide rocks or high tide rocks I always forget :) and on the drift we were. Pa was on and it was a good one as well I think it would have been about 45cm (we didn't measure it) but it was straight in the esky with my flatty to take home.

I now even know how to fillet and skin a flathead. Which makes it even harder to put the rod down ever, loving the learning curve and adventures it brings.

post-21786-012477200 1329383227_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheekiifisher

Awesome work. It would be a massive thrill to get onto a flatty that big. I look forward to seeing the pic.

What size line were you using? Also, what size plastic and jighead if you don't mind?

3'' gulp curried chicken, 1/4 weight jig head, 8 pound braid and 12 pound leader. probably all wrong but it works.

Holy smokes I think you can give fishing lessons now! Well done! :thumbup:

P.S. a tip for skinning a flatty

After you have removed the 2 fillets, starting from the tail end of the fillet, cut up about 5cm or so. Then hold on to the skin, and hold on to the meat, and pull! I do this as it takes ages to remove the rib bones. The rib bones are connected to the skin so it rips straight off.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Holy smokes I think you can give fishing lessons now! Well done! :thumbup:

P.S. a tip for skinning a flatty

After you have removed the 2 fillets, starting from the tail end of the fillet, cut up about 5cm or so. Then hold on to the skin, and hold on to the meat, and pull! I do this as it takes ages to remove the rib bones. The rib bones are connected to the skin so it rips straight off.

Thank you so so so much for the tip when i go with pa again we will have to give this a shot. I am suprised at myself for actually filleting and skining it. When we went last time and i watch him and the guts came out i almost vomited everywhere. So very impressed with myself.

Again, freakn unbelievable!

As above, I find it easier to fillet the fish once they've been chilled. I put my flatties in a saltwater ice slurry to put them to sleep and find they're a lot easier to fillet and skin afterwards.

Good to see another girl who's not afraid to get dirty when it comes to cleaning your catch. Very impressive catch & thanks for the info regarding your rig :)