Marlin Footage

fishmaniac

Hey mate,

The details of the two outfits are as follows:

1) Saltist 40H Overhead Reel with a 60B Saltiga Rod. It was loaded with 50lb braid, 80lb shockleader and 80lb flourocarbon trace

2) Catalina 6500 Spin Reel with a 56B Saltiga Rod. That had 80lb braid, 80lb shockleader and 200lb trace

Fishing a tad north of uladulla

Edited by fishmaniac

Your a daiwa man :thumbup: like wise.

I have a pair of saltist 50 and a mate has a 40 LW which we been using for marlin lately but was always worried that they werent up to sratch. But after seeing your video ive changed my mind. haha How much braid do you have spooled on and were you even close to getting spooled?

I too have a catalina but only the 4500 for my light weight jig outfit. I probably woulnt try to get a marlin with that as i might lose my lure. haha

cheers

Your a daiwa man :thumbup: like wise.

I have a pair of saltist 50 and a mate has a 40 LW which we been using for marlin lately but was always worried that they werent up to sratch. But after seeing your video ive changed my mind. haha How much braid do you have spooled on and were you even close to getting spooled?

I too have a catalina but only the 4500 for my light weight jig outfit. I probably woulnt try to get a marlin with that as i might lose my lure. haha

cheers

I have 400m of 50lb on the Saltist and 300m of 80lb on the Catalina. The most I had out on the saltist was about 200m and the most I had out on the Catalina was maybe 130m. Obviously If I kept the boat stationary i would have lost a lot more line but when the fish ran I kept the boat mving to help gain some line.

Andrew,

that is fantastic footage, your 1st marlin

on your own gear, on your own boat & on video

What more can you ask for.

Looks like you were driving the boat aswell ? :insane:

Well done mate :thumbup:

cheers

zed

ps. you may struggle on a blue on that gear (just what ive heard)

Edited by ALPHABET

I have 400m of 50lb on the Saltist and 300m of 80lb on the Catalina. The most I had out on the saltist was about 200m and the most I had out on the Catalina was maybe 130m. Obviously If I kept the boat stationary i would have lost a lot more line but when the fish ran I kept the boat mving to help gain some line.

Is your catalina a High speed model? Im asking cause i have a dogfight which are high speed and not sure if it is suitable for a marlin fishing. Cause im worried they havent got the pulling power u need like the low speed has. :1prop:

Edited by Little Hooker

Is your catalina a High speed model? Im asking cause i have a dogfight which are high speed and not sure if it is suitable for a marlin fishing. Cause im worried they havent got the pulling power u need like the low speed has. :1prop:

The Catalina has a gear ratio of 4.3:1 so it would be a low speed model. I had a go with a mate's saltist high speed 6500 spinning reel and found the retrieve uncomfortably fast for jigging so I opted for the lower retrieve.

You would certainly get the power out of the reel but being such a high speed I think you would struggle gaining line over a long period of time, particularly if you are struggling to move the fish much. I suppose getting one or two would certainly be doable but if you were to target marlin a lot it would probably be a bit uncomfortable!