1kw Transducer Set Up

Secho

G'day,

My mate has a Haines 580 Breeze and we're looking to install a Furuno 585 into it.

Really keen to hear from any raiders who have same or similar size glass boat who have installed the 585 with a 1kw transducer.

Specifically, we're interested to hear from anyone who chose a "transom mount" transducer versus the "through hull" versus the "in hull - shoot through" or even the transom mount which can be raised and lowered.

Looking for any feedback at all, we're keen to get it right first time and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

We're pretty fluent with the transom mount options, but tempted to go through hull or shoot through..

Cheers.

Marty

Through Hull or Shoot Through? Heres my two bobs worth, since your boat is a trailer boat and you DONT want to go Transom mount. The simplest and easiest is shoot through, Through Hull is exactly what it says and needs to be done by a pro and will be expensive and considering it is a trailer boat, firstly its not worth the expense and secondly you have something that sticks through your hull, opening up all sorts of potential mishaps putting on and reversing off trailer, hitting something in the water etc.

Shoot through is easier and cheaper. Making the box is easy and does not require any type of glassing. Will explain how it is done to you if you choose this way. To locate where you will need to place the transducer is where the fun begins. You need to fill a thick plastic bag with fresh engine oil so as to make a pillow for the transducer to sit on. THE BAG MUST BE LEAK PROOF. You simply then place the pillow and transducer in your underfloor space and continually move it tell you get what is the best reception. You then know what is the position to mount it.

My thoughts,

Transom mount, adjustable if possible. At least then it is there, you can see it, move it, adjust it and fix it if you need to. Mine can be raised and lowered so it can be moved up high to keep it safe if you pull up on the sand etc. Also, when you are launching and retrieving it is up and out of the way. My boat is not glass and I have a humminbird transducer.

Brian.

Edited by Brian

Hi Marty,

I have a 560c Barcrusher with a Furuno 585 and airmar TM260 1kw transom mount transducer. I have found this combination to be great. The transducer is reasonably large but easy to install and operates very well. I have no complaints regarding the combination. Performance at speed and in depths out over the shelf are excellent. As for the other options, I have no experience and can't comment. Hope the info helps.

Dave

I am not sure you are going to get an M260 in-hull to fit. You will have to check the dimensions, but i couldn't get one to fit into my bilge area. I went with a B164 and it is pretty amazing. Install wasn't really that expensive. a couple of hours at the most. Honestly though the TM260/m260 are better transducers and they are not much more expensive. If you can get either to fit you will be happy. Heaps of trailer boats have the TM260 as that is what they were designed for.