Good Bream/estuary Setup Around $10k

soapie

Gday fishraiders,

Going overseas in 2 weeks for abit over a month and planning on upgrading my boat when I get back. I am looking at something around the 4.20m (min 30hp) mark capable of fishing the racks but also hitting abit of chop (deeper boat probably).

The budget has been downgraded to about $10k unfortunately.

Can anyone help with some boat models that may come around that price new or am I dreaming for $10k ? :(

I also don't mind buying 2nd hand as long as its in good condition.

I could wait longer and save for better but I'm also itching to be setup before summer :biggrin2:

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by soapie

Hi Nick,

You're not dreaming! We can set you up with the Polycraft 4.1m (v nose punt) or the Polycraft 4.55m (deep vee) with a Suzuki 30HP on a trailer for the budget you're looking at. Give me a call at Yabbie Marine 9524 6488, or PM me for a chat.

Cheers,

Ben.

Guys, you know I love my Poly, but a 30 on either the 4.1 or 4.55 would be seriously undergunned.

Yes, you're keeping the cost down, but you really need at least a 40 on the 4.1......... when I really load mine up sometimes the 50 tends to struggle :1yikes:

As another happy Polycraft owner I would have to agree with Dave here. a 30hp is probably a bit undergunned.

The alternative to keep within budget is to try and source a recent 2nd hand 40-50hp. I am sure Ben at Yabbie would be able to put together a package if a suitable motor could be sourced.

As a final point, just let me say how pleased i have been with all dealings with Yabbie Marine. They are the nuts and really go out of their way to assist where possible.

Cheers

Byron

We have many very happy customers running 4.1 open Polys with 30HPs (both 2 and 4 strokes). I'd be more than happy to pass on their details to Nick so he can get a personal opinion on how they go with a 30. These guys fish one or two up and take a fair bit of gear, and have no complaints. You certainly won't break any speed records, but to describe it as "seriously undergunned" is a gross overstatement in my opinion. I invite anyone interested in a Poly to come down and take a run in our stock 4.1 open boat with Suzuki 30HP to see for yourself.

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben obviously you sell the product, therefore you must vigorously defend any statement likely to reflect some of the less obvious factors to owning a Poly.

I personally know of 3 tiller steer Polys purchased with 30's on the back that have been upgraded to 40's, and at least one Side console purchased with a 40, upgraded to a 50.

For everyones information, Ben sent me a PM asking that I:

rethink your statement that your 50 sometimes struggles on your Poly 4.1

Well, I've thought about it and it's still true........ I will not give misleading information about the Poly's, especially when there are at least 20 anglers who have experienced it on my boat - I will not be a hypocrite.

However, I will clarify my statement. What I said was:

when I really load mine up sometimes the 50 tends to struggle

I didn't say that it struggled all the time, or often, or occasionally - I spoke the exact truth, when I REALLY load mine up SOMETIMES the 50 tends to struggle.

Here's the scenario with my boat when it struggles:

2 anglers - 200kg (I'm not a little lad).

2 full fuel tanks - 50kg

2 full livewells, 120litres total - 120kg

Full competition fishing tackle assortment - at least another 50kg between 2

So, we have probably around the 200kg mark that the average fisho wouldn't be carrying, a hell of a lot more if you include my electric motor and whopping big battery to run it (40kgs).

ON TOP OF THAT, my boat is propped for as much top end speed as I can get within the allowable rev range. This also adds to it '"sometimes struggling".

I have a smaller prop that I can put on, and with it I never have a problem, even fully loaded as described.

With my comment about the 30 being seriously undergunned, I'd like to change it.

In regards to the 4.1 Challenger in my humble opinion a 30 HP motor is the bare minimum you would put on this hull, not enough HP if you intend to carry a fair bit of gear, and seriously undergunned if you run max weight as I've described above.

I retract my statement in regards to the 4.55 Quickcraft, as I haven't spent enough time on one to comment further. I will say that it is 25-75kg heavier than the 4.1 Challenger depending on configuration.

I am more than happy for anyone to contact me about the suitability of Polycrafts for their use, and quite willing to take anyone out for a run if they are interested - in the same sized boat the ride and handling speaks for itself and you would never go back to alloy.

Well said Dave, honest opinions are much appreciated as buying a boat is a stressful decision at the best of times.

If i ever sell my current boat i would seriously consider a Poly based on what ive read on this site from the Poly owners THEMSELVES. I have read plenty on the net and in the mags but its hard to sort out the crap from the truth, nothing is better than personal experiences.

If i ever got one i would of course see the guys at Yabbie Marine :biggrinthumb:

Hi Folks,

Dave - I appreciate you taking the time to clarify your comments (that was the intention of my PM to you, it certainly wasn't to ask you to mislead anyone) and agree completely. A 30Hp is certainly the minimum horsepower you would use on a Poly 4.1 or 4.55 open, and you may struggle if loading it to the hilt, however for the average fisho fishing one or two up with a resonable amount of gear, the package is perfectly adequate and very well priced. Nick stated he had a budget of around $10K, hence I offered him the package that fitted his budget. When he comes down for a test run, he can decide for himself whether he needs to increase the budget and up the horses. As I said previously, I have many happy customers running the 30HP Suzuki on Polycrafts.

Cheers,

Ben.

Not a problem Ben, I would hate for anyone to get the wrong idea about these ripper little boats.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the 30hp minimum, I really don't think people will be happy long term with it - of course this is my opinion only.

Dave

Cajun at the time kept telling me to go 50H four stroke.  Four years down the track I can say that he was absolutely right. 

55624[/snapback]

:1yikes:

I just wanted to be more jealous :074: says Cajun with an early 1980's 3cyl Jono 70Hp and quinnie to match.

:tease:

I do like the looks of the poly's though. But the :wife: and Pedro reckon I need to use this one more before I upgrade. :risata:

Cheers

Ken

Guest bluecod
reckon I need to use this one more before I upgrade.  :risata:

Cheers

Ken

55784[/snapback]

Cajun,

I know how you feel - I've got a late 90's 50 h.p. 2 stroke Yammie on my Quinnie, great little centre console, problem was friend's also got their [much bigger] boats about the same time as my motor upgrade, consequently my motor has only about 20 hours on it.

I often think I'd like to trade the rig on something different but the truth to the matter at the moment is that I still won't use it enough to justify the extra cost. if circumstances change then I would be in the market.

Hi guys, I am running a 50 hp suzuki 4 stroke on my new poly 4.1 and it goes great with 3 up !!!!!! I think with 2 large guys and all the water weight and fuel you would be putting your weight limit over for a BOAT rated for 4 people of around 70 to 80 kilos ???? That could get dangerous dont you agree ?

I suppose technically I'm fairly regularly over the weight limit - the Poly handles it very well!

To date, I've never heard of a Poly cracking/breaking - trust me when I say if they were going to crack I would've cracked mine long ago :1prop:

Just as a bit of general info, there's nutcase wakeboarders in Brisbane running 4.55 quickcrafts as cheap wakeboats.

They put 90's on the back (well over HP rating), fill the hull with 200l of water (well over the weight levels) and pull 2 wakeboarders on them! Imaging the transom stress pulling them out of the water, but I'm yet to hear of a breakage!

Dave

Thanks Dave , I think saftey is much better than speed especially when we use our electrics most of the time :risata: And i reckon you couldnt sink our polycraft with a torpedo :074: