Fly Rod

Moro Mou

Well the good news is my permit to aquire has been authorised by the trouble and stife so i am now officially in the market for nice little 5 weight.

I have used a Sage "bass special" in the US and this was quite nice. I also borrowed a mates Loomis however did not sink a hook with it.

Any suggestions? Max spend would be say $400?

Appreciate your response.

Many thanks.

I love Sage rods, it's just chalk and cheese to compar them with cheaper rods. Sage rods tend to be faster than Loomis rods as a general rule, but whether you prefer a fast, medium or slow rod comes down to personal preference. It doesn't really matter otherwise in my opinion.

For your budget you can't reach a new Sage except the lower end ones. I'd recommend looking for a second hand rod, you could probably get an XP or Z-axis for within your budget. If you wanted to go new you could get a custom built one from good shops in the US for about the $600 mark, but I admit I haven't looked into it recently.

Don't forget you'll have to invest in a reel and line as well, I'd suggest putting aside about $200-300 for that. If you get something cheaper then you're laughing.

Edited by abecedarian

Well it begins the investment in a 5 weight!

For you dollar and bang for buck look at Temple Fork the BVK is awesome great rod low weight and lifetime warranty, you can pick up a Sage Vantage thier entry level pretty cheap these days with reel line combo for $600 awesome value and a very good trout rod, theres also the discontinued Scott A3 replaced by the A4 ( I love Scott rods rate them over Sage! Except the RPL!!!!) You can get an A3 out of NZ pretty cheap these days and again lifetime warranty - check your PM's I'll point you in the direction of some places to get good 2nd hand rods where the maker will honour a warranty. As for actions try and test cast a few I have 3 5 weights of varying action so if you fancy a test cast in the park PM me they are from slow/med to fast. It the best way to find what rod suits your casting stroke also are primarily dry fly nymph or streamer as rods these days are made for applications my personal recommendation for an allrounder in your budget is the Sage Vantage, TFO BVK or a Scott A3 or A4 all round rods that can present a dry but handle a nymph or streamer. A Sage VXP may also fall in your range!

• 2 weeks later...

I would third Royce's recomendation of the TFO BVK for the price range.

They are a softer rod than the loomis and it is just a matter of adjusting your action.

My wife landed some cracking NZ fish on a 4 weight.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...