I D Please

tonez

Question

:1fishing1: Hi all

I caught this weird looking thing while bottom bashing near Sow & Pigs. Got it on a cut pilchard. took a couple of pics and sent it back. :wacko: No idea what it is.

post-17328-096055200 1330168321_thumb.jpgpost-17328-097893100 1330168338_thumb.jpg

What do you think it is? are these common in the harbour?

9 answers to this question

Painted grinner. Seems they are more common than most think. My old man has been bottom bashing in the harbour for 30years and the first time he has seen one was over the Christmas period when he and I took the boat for a spin. Ever since then I've seen stories of them popping up everywhere :lol:

Not entirely sure.. The only thing I found out when trying to find out what fish it was is was that they are riddled with bones and hence terrible eating. Apparently they're good burley though..

Can I suggest that in future you dont try and identify fish by cooking them up and eating them? Do you realise that there are deadly poisonous fish in our waters and you wouldnt be the first to find out the hard way?

If you catch something you dont recognise, chuck it back and look it up when you get home so you know next time.

Thanks guys

Maybe they have recently migrated into the harbour. I have also been bottom bashing in the harbour for a few years and never seen one.

They have been inside Port Hacking for years, probably the same with the Harbour but you were never lucky to catch one before!

Can I suggest that in future you dont try and identify fish by cooking them up and eating them? Do you realise that there are deadly poisonous fish in our waters and you wouldnt be the first to find out the hard way?

If you catch something you dont recognise, chuck it back and look it up when you get home so you know next time.

Chill mate, it was released. I only keep fish I can identify and have eaten before. I don't see any sense in killing for the sake of killing. I snapped a pic of it to identify later and continued fishing. Reports I read online whilst searching for it suggested they were full of bones and as such are not very good eating. Apparently they don't grow much bigger than 30cms either but make a good burley when minced. Again, only reporting my findings. Sorry if my previous post suggested otherwise. I didn't mean to stir anyone up.

Edited by bean