Questions about alvey reels.

clemsy

Hi raiders,

I'm thinking about getting an alvey reel and I just wanted to know how it works. I have a couple of questions;

1. Is there a drag on an alvey reel and is it the same as a spinning reel? The way it works, turn of a dial?

2. How would I reel in a fish with an alvey reel? Pump and wind?

3. I read somewhere about having to keep the index finger on the line, what is that about?

4. Are there any other basic info I should I know about how to use an alvey reel?

Thanks raiders!

Hi mate

Some models have drag, and it basically can resemble a star drag or lever drag.

As alvey reels have a 1:1 ratio, pumping while winding is not necessary, there is enough torque to wind line on.... Some Alvey reels have the rapid retrieve feature which gives you 2:1 ratio while winding, but this is mainly to retrieve line at a greater rate when you've lost your bait.

You do need to use your finger to run the line side to side while winding, but getting the hang of this is not a problem, by the time you've spooled your line on, you'll have it... And after a short while it will become as easy as using a spin reel.

Other things you might need to know is, in most cases you need a low mount rod with an open runner, using a regular spin reel will limit casting distance and make you slice you finger open.

Also when choosing fishing line, pick a colour that stands out eg. Yellow alvey reel, dark fishing line, the Jarvis walker line is an outstanding mono , and vice versa dark reel, black or maroon, light line pink or light blue in the platypus lo-stretch.... This allows you to see what's going with you line and reel.

Cheers

I think I'll mostly be using it for blackfish and other species off wharves. So not a lot of casting involved, just dropping the line down or small casts.

So there is no need to pump and wind whilst fighting a fish? I can fight a fish by just winding? What if they take a run?

Thanks so much for your help!

Okay I'll check the 45bc out, sorry but there is one more thing. If I'm going to get the reel individually, I'll need a rod. I won't need a long one as I won't be casting that often, just near the wharf. I've got a few spin rods at home around 7 foot and graphite. Will they work?

Edited by clemzii

As Fishingphase said you need a low mount rod with a large first guide. This is because when you turn an alvey to the side to cast it throws off big loops, like what would happen if you had a spinning reel with a spool 6 inches or more in diameter. If you put them on a standard spinning rod you'll end up with the line looping around your first guide either snapping your line or taking out the first guide...

It's kind of the same as why you don't use a spinning reel on an overhead rod. The guide placement, size and number are different for all types of rods, best to just stick to what the rod/reel is designed for.

I'm thinking of getting a combo that includes the 500B alvey reel with a 7 foot rod, as I won't be casting much. But is it still true with Alveys, "you pay for what you get"? It is $69, however if I buy a rod and reel seperately, it will cost about $150+.

I wouldn't get a direct wind reel for your first. One with drag would be more useful to you and a whole lot less frustrating. It might cost you less, but then you may find it that much of a pig to fish with that you never use it.

Just out of curiosity, why get an alvey at all? If you have the spin rods why not get a baitrunner? Much better setup in my opinion for off the wharf. Only place an alvey is better is if you're beach fishing and so uncoordinated you can't keep your reel out of the sand. Then an alvey is a good investment! Otherwise a spinning or overhead reel beat them hands down.

But maybe that's a bit harsh...

If its for blackfish and bream look at a 4 to 4 and a half inch model and get a rod with low mount first runner should be about 30 - 40 inches from the mount and at least a size 30. The rod lenght ideally should be a about 10 to 11 feet and light to med action a CR4126 or CR5126 from Wilson would be a good rod remeber the longer the rod for your target species the better line control you will have for a hard fighting luderick plus this outfit doubles as an awesome whiting combo, most peple fishing for blackfish on a semi serious nature have a 10 foot rod in the arsenal.

Any queries just ask!

Thanks for that luderick angler, I'm looking at possible getting a blackfish specific alvey reel. On BCF they have two models, a 455BXL which I saw at a store today and a 475B. What is the difference?

And I have a 7 foot Berkley Attack graphite rod at home, the mount is very close to the butt of the rod and the first guide is very far up. Keeping in mind I won't be doing a lot of casting, mostly just dropping the line or small casts off a wharf.

Edited by clemzii

The 475B is a blackfish specific sidecast if you get that get the stainless back it has a better check mechanism than the graphite back the brake on it becomes unreliable though I have heard good reports of the graphite back with tension control on the spool. The $55B has a wider deeper spool from memory. IMHO get a longer rod theres nothing worse than trying to steer away a big blackie from trouble with a short rod, plus a longer rod acts like a big spring for thier lunging surges they will make theres no feel like a big luderick screaming off whilst palming the lip of a centrepin on a 10 footer! My recommendation the 475B I have used one and even doubled it up for light drummer work casting baits for bream even ultalight salmon work teamed up with a mag bream!