PORT HACKING (Culburra)

hookerbruce

Hi

Went to Culburra Crookhaven last weekend caught a huge number of flathead ( to 60cm)in the river,kept about 30 between three of us over two days. Plus a few bream tailor salmon whiting and mullet. All fish were caught in less than 1 metre of water on 1Kg outfits. Also found a large school of salmon near the beach just outside the river mouth, had bonito,tailor and frigites mixed in with them. And they hit any lure we cast at them on 2 KG for two hours till we tired and made a move to look for bigger fish. Only kept a couple which had swallowed lures right down.

As we had fished all last weekend we were only allowed 3 hours to chase kings this morning.

Left the ramp at 6:15 am and headed straight out to catch live bait. Had to ignore several schools of surface fish as we headed out. Squid can be a bit slow so we just went and caught a doz yellowtail then moved on after about 15 min.

We targeted the numerous little peaks out off the bommie which have produced kings before (although last season we had poor results there)

First peak we fished had heaps of bait showing on the sounder but didn't show any bigger fish.

Spent 15min there as it look fishy, lots of bait, over cast, a bit of wind chop and some very steep wind swells coming from 20m up to the 10m peak we were fishing.

Decision was made to move on, I brought my livie in ready to move but my son hesitated said his was nervous.

Nervous alright it didn't want to get eaten. The fish hit hard and took a bit of line a couple of minutes and it was under control and the king's silver flash in the water was no where near long enough for the fight and head shaking in 10m of water.

Reason being it was a good red, well good for us, and a new pb for my son. Weighed in at 4kg and 66cm.

My pb snapper I caught a few years back at the same spot while live baiting for kings.

We fished for another hour at various spots had one good hit and miss but never saw a king. We are more than happy with the by-catch.

And back at the ramp just before 9:30

• 1 month later...