Webster twin fisher

Danny no fish

Ive always thought they would be a great boat. Found out that a guy from work has one, I had a chat with him and he realy regrets buying he's. he said its always BANGIN so loud when it hits waves then the wash goes in an upwards direction only to be blown back over you with the slightest breeze (unlike single hull boats that send the spray outwards). also if you decide to tow a skier or biscuit with it they are scary in tight turns. He said the only good thing about he's boat was it doesn't lean much if a couple of guys stand the same side.

I would give one a real good test drive and form my own opinion!

Ive always thought they would be a great boat. Found out that a guy from work has one, I had a chat with him and he realy regrets buying he's. he said its always BANGIN so loud when it hits waves then the wash goes in an upwards direction only to be blown back over you with the slightest breeze (unlike single hull boats that send the spray outwards). also if you decide to tow a skier or biscuit with it they are scary in tight turns. He said the only good thing about he's boat was it doesn't lean much if a couple of guys stand the same side.

I would give one a real good test drive and form my own opinion!

Gday oz brett,can relate to noise mate as test drove in one last week,(second hand) water was reatively flat and yes wasnt to impressed myself at first with noise slappin,boat stepped up a notch once we hit a bit more chop which the boat seemed to respond well with,,i havnt made mind up as yet,still after more info if anyone else can help or possibly get boat in some more rough water,thanks..

Gday raiders,hoping to get thumbs up on new boat purchase 5.2mtr webster. If anyone owns one,negatives,positives etc,thanks guys..

Have a read through this post ,

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=60450&st=0&p=425996&hl=webster&fromsearch=1entry425996

In respect to the "Banging" that is not a fault of the boat's design but due to the boat being driven at to lower speed for the particular conditions.

They run best when up on top of the waves , not crashing through them.

There can be some blow back from the tunnel on occusions but this is a minor issue compared to the overall pluses.

Geoff

Have a read through this post ,

http://www.fishraide...=1

In respect to the "Banging" that is not a fault of the boat's design but due to the boat being driven at to lower speed for the particular conditions.

They run best when up on top of the waves , not crashing through them.

There can be some blow back from the tunnel on occusions but this is a minor issue compared to the overall pluses.

Geoff

Hi Goeff,thanks very much for your response. I have thouroughly been on every website reading over and over again on posts and comments,i think i have exhausted every avenue.. Boat i tested was immaculate fitted with 115 yamaha four stroke,i found it sluggish and did not want to plane,was fitted with wings,in saying this motor was recently serviced but had trouble at idle,i hoping possible blocked injector perhaps,which obviously would lag HP as lack of fuel.. In saying all this i have always wanted to own this very outfit as love cats and love that single outboard factor. Whats your thoughts Geoff with 115 as in all seriousness im no novice when it comes to Narooma bar but after test drive i aint to sure this rig is performing to its optimum,more so once boat is fully loaded,i like to know ive got that extra gear when needed. My thoughts are possibly 140hp but need to do more research and ask before i commit,regards Dan...

Dan You might like to PM "Bentstick" . He has a 5.2 Webster & perhaps can provide some input.

As for the motor , the 115 should easily do the job so , suspect the motor needs some attention.

Check the rating for the particular year model your looking at , I think you will find the maxium for the 5.2 is 120HP.

Webster's can be weight sensitive at the stern so if repowering take into account the motor weight

Mine is a 4.9 with a 70hp 2S & it provides heaps of power. With 3 up & gear , it's easily on the plane at 3800 rpm & I rarely run the motor over 4500

You mentioned "wings" Were they the actual wing design? If so they are not much help. The best fitting for these boats is a Permatrim.

Geoff

Dan You might like to PM "Bentstick" . He has a 5.2 Webster & perhaps can provide some input.

As for the motor , the 115 should easily do the job so , suspect the motor needs some attention.

Check the rating for the particular year model your looking at , I think you will find the maxium for the 5.2 is 120HP.

Webster's can be weight sensitive at the stern so if repowering take into account the motor weight

Mine is a 4.9 with a 70hp 2S & it provides heaps of power. With 3 up & gear , it's easily on the plane at 3800 rpm & I rarely run the motor over 4500

You mentioned "wings" Were they the actual wing design? If so they are not much help. The best fitting for these boats is a Permatrim.

Geoff

Hi Geoff your a legend thanks very much champ,will def get in touch with Benttick.. Ive actually laid a deposit down on this outfit Geoff,Ive owned many an outfit ,so am very excited to be hopping in to something different as mine have all been monohulls Geoff. Def is a permatrim fitted to rear Geoff,boat was intially bought back in 2003 one owner from a mob in blacktown..Fuel tank being at rear,plus duel batteries,live bait tank as well,i def need to keep weight if i repower to a minimum. I very rarely see these outfits come on second hand market so i cant let this one slip by as waited to long to get this one..I rarely here negative feedback regarding the websters so i very excited to sort out couple of minor teething problems and get this outfit ready for the tuna season.. Thanks again buddy...

they are a wet boat.you will need clears.

but they love the chop.the worse the chop the faster you go these boats love being driven fast in chop.

and yes it takes a bit to get used to a twin hull.

as for pulling a skier there not made for that in my opinion they are a all out fishing boat

A mate off mine owned a Webster cat about 5mts in length. He hated it and could not wait to off load it.

The first problem was the welds in the fuel tank cracked and it leaked fuel until it was detected.

The front welds on the port side cracked and it started to leak water in. Again took a bit to detect the exact site of the problem.

When he contacted Webster regarding warrantly/after sales service he was extremely disappointed in their approached to him.

Although it is possible that his boat was a one off lemon, his experiences alone with these boats was enough to turn me off them for life.

It has been raised above that these Webster Cats "love the chop"....I would strongly dispute those claims. I was out at Browns Mt in my 5.5m Seafarer and my mate was in his Webster both boats were of similar size. A moderate NE blew up and when we headed for home he tucked in behind my boat for some protection and I had to keep backing off to allow him to stay with me in my wake. When we arrived at the ramp he was absolutely soaked. They are not a dry boat by any means.

Think long and hard about your purchase.

Edited by njsconst

they are a wet boat.you will need clears.

but they love the chop.the worse the chop the faster you go these boats love being driven fast in chop.

and yes it takes a bit to get used to a twin hull.

as for pulling a skier there not made for that in my opinion they are a all out fishing boat

Hi nath thanks for your reply,lucky for me boat has clears and side curtains which by sounds of things i def going to need. As for pulling skiier def not from this tub buddy,will only be used as a fishing and diving rig,lucky for me mates own a ski baot :thumbup: .

A mate off mine owned a Webster cat about 5mts in length. He hated it and could not wait to off load it.

The first problem was the welds in the fuel tank cracked and it leaked fuel until it was detected.

The front welds on the port side cracked and it started to leak water in. Again took a bit to detect the exact site of the problem.

When he contacted Webster regarding warrantly/after sales service he was extremely disappointed in their approached to him.

Although it is possible that his boat was a one off lemon, his experiences alone with these boats was enough to turn me off them for life.

It has been raised above that these Webster Cats "love the chop"....I would strongly dispute those claims. I was out at Browns Mt in my 5.5m Seafarer and my mate was in his Webster both boats were of similar size. A moderate NE blew up and when we headed for home he tucked in behind my boat for some protection and I had to keep backing off to allow him to stay with me in my wake. When we arrived at the ramp he was absolutely soaked. They are not a dry boat by any means.

Think long and hard about your purchase.

Gday njconst,wow mate not what i wanted to hear but just the same disapointing so much went wrong with your mates rig. What year model was his? And what was it mainly used for? Thanks buddy for getting in touch,just a bugger about the :thumbdown: thumbs post..

Gday njconst,wow mate not what i wanted to hear but just the same disapointing so much went wrong with your mates rig. What year model was his? And what was it mainly used for? Thanks buddy for getting in touch,just a bugger about the :thumbdown: thumbs post..

Mate I could not tell you exactly what year model it was, but he owned the boat from 2005 till about 2007. It looked relatively new when I saw it back then. Hopefully Webster have employed a new welder by now!

He used his boat exclusively for fishing only.

Nathan

Edited by njsconst

Dan Bentstick has recently had a mod done to his boat with a hardtop fitted & clears all around , looks great.

I purchased my boat from the same dealer in Blacktown in 2003. The guy who used to work there & set up the boats knew his stuff. You should be very happy with the set up.

In respect to the welding, I have several friends with Websters & never had a problem however , they did have an owner change around 2005 / 2006 & that may have been a contributing factor.

Wet. If getting wet then the boat is being driven too slow. Cat's are designed to be run at high speed in rough water.

It is fair to say with the flat sides , running side on or at a slight angle there is a fair amount of spray.

As the boat has clears all round the ride will be comfortable & dry.

I very rarely see these outfits come on second hand market. That speak's volume's

Webster have produced over 3000 boats in the past 15 years or so & the sign of a good product is the small volume that come onto the second hand market.

Geoff

:yahoo:

Dan Bentstick has recently had a mod done to his boat with a hardtop fitted & clears all around , looks great.

I purchased my boat from the same dealer in Blacktown in 2003. The guy who used to work there & set up the boats knew his stuff. You should be very happy with the set up.

In respect to the welding, I have several friends with Websters & never had a problem however , they did have an owner change around 2005 / 2006 & that may have been a contributing factor.

Wet. If getting wet then the boat is being driven too slow. Cat's are designed to be run at high speed in rough water.

It is fair to say with the flat sides , running side on or at a slight angle there is a fair amount of spray.

As the boat has clears all round the ride will be comfortable & dry.

I very rarely see these outfits come on second hand market. That speak's volume's

Webster have produced over 3000 boats in the past 15 years or so & the sign of a good product is the small volume that come onto the second hand market.

Geoff

Geoff your a wealth of knowledge and i takin it all on board thanks mate.. Yes Independant outboards in Blacktown was where boat was purchased in 2003 as well Geoff. I only removed stickers today as looked worn and tired (sorry guys)..:1yikes: Bentstick has got in touch and if you read this post silvo,i apoligise about blank emails as bloody hopeless when comes to forwarding photos on. I cant get pics on fishraider either..Once again Geoff your advice is much appriciated and hopefully will get a pic up of the webster asap for you guys to see. I proud of way she looks and if they handle as well as it looks il be one very happy man.

Dan When do you take delivery ??

I found ,shortly after taking delivery, a few minor issues that needed attention.

Most are inexpensive & are easy fixes. Perhaps some have been attended to by the previous owner ,if not the following may be of interest.

These are listed in no particular order.

** The drain holes in the side of the outboard well are small & block up easily. Increase the holes on both sides to 1/2"

** The support channels under the timber floor restrict the flow of water to the bilge pump normally fitted on the Port side. Fit an additional bilge pump on the Starbord side.

** The rear bungs are fitted high & as such draining all the water is difficult. Fit a small bung so the housing is about 1mm above the weld line.

post-731-059721600 1330911094_thumb.jpg

** The batteries are hard to access. Fit a hatch , same as that fitted to the LBT, so inspection , testing , charging becomes very easy.

post-731-000560700 1330911135_thumb.jpg

** If side pockets are fitted the drain holes are very small & become blocked. Drill out with a 3/8" drill.

** On mine , the floor stops about 3" from the transom. Any thing dropped on the floor , like sinkers, quickly find their way under the floor. Fit an edging , about 1" high & this will prevent most items disapearing.

There are a few other things like fitting a connection to the battery box lid so the battery can be tested or charged without removing the lid.

More photo's are available if required.

Finally , launch & retreive. I found the optium trailer depth is when the rear blue side guide rollers are just under the water.

Too high & the bow tends to spear up into the air , too low & the boat drifts off allingment

Geoff

Dan When do you take delivery ??

I found ,shortly after taking delivery, a few minor issues that needed attention.

Most are inexpensive & are easy fixes. Perhaps some have been attended to by the previous owner ,if not the following may be of interest.

These are listed in no particular order.

** The drain holes in the side of the outboard well are small & block up easily. Increase the holes on both sides to 1/2"

** The support channels under the timber floor restrict the flow of water to the bilge pump normally fitted on the Port side. Fit an additional bilge pump on the Starbord side.

** The rear bungs are fitted high & as such draining all the water is difficult. Fit a small bung so the housing is about 1mm above the weld line.

post-731-059721600 1330911094_thumb.jpg

** The batteries are hard to access. Fit a hatch , same as that fitted to the LBT, so inspection , testing , charging becomes very easy.

post-731-000560700 1330911135_thumb.jpg

** If side pockets are fitted the drain holes are very small & become blocked. Drill out with a 3/8" drill.

** On mine , the floor stops about 3" from the transom. Any thing dropped on the floor , like sinkers, quickly find their way under the floor. Fit an edging , about 1" high & this will prevent most items disapearing.

There are a few other things like fitting a connection to the battery box lid so the battery can be tested or charged without removing the lid.

More photo's are available if required.

Finally , launch & retreive. I found the optium trailer depth is when the rear blue side guide rollers are just under the water.

Too high & the bow tends to spear up into the air , too low & the boat drifts off allingment

Geoff

Hi Geoff youll be pleased to know ive taken ownership of this boat,picked up sat and spent all weekend in my new toy,much to Tanyas delight i stayed out of her way ha ha... Ok buddy i spent all weekend modifying and changing things to suit individual needs,as you mentioned none of these are major but like you by seems of things i want things done right and perfect,and basically user friendly.. Very impressed with boats handling and ride. 10/10 from me...

Edited by Danny no fish

Will get to removing entire floor very soon as i like knowing design and structure on my platform

As for bungs (self draining) whats your thoughts on installing larger rectangle scuppers? I been pondering do i or dont i? .

Ive marine carpeted right up front and under floor storage as well as side pockets as i hate things sliding around.

Who knows might even see each other one day on the water,my name of this boat shall be 'WEBBED FEET'...:yahoo:

Dan Here are photos of the floor structure however , it may be still wise to remove the floor to see if there are any other nasties.

post-731-009142300 1330918416_thumb.jpg

post-731-049425400 1330918457_thumb.jpg

Bungs. I've never found a need for self draining. Unless your caught in a heavy down pore or a bung starts leaking the interior will remain dry.

If you do get water , it's easier just to turn on the bilge pump.

Carpet in side pockets. This will most likely get wet & you will be forever taking everthing out to dry the carpet.

I only store non rustable items like rope , plastic items in the pockets.

For those small fiddly items Bunnings sell a spare parts box. This keeps small items that may be prone to rusting or other bits & pieces contained.

Drill holes in each corner to allow any water to drain & fit a small strip of timber to the base ,at each end , so the holes are free.

post-731-092396100 1330919555_thumb.jpg

post-731-004310100 1330919978_thumb.jpg

I'll be down your way at Easter. We stop at Mcker's , B.B. for lunch on the way down. At this time , Thursday 5th April.

Will mainly be fishing out of Bermagui.

Geoff

Dan Here are photos of the floor structure however , it may be still wise to remove the floor to see if there are any other nasties.

post-731-009142300 1330918416_thumb.jpg

post-731-049425400 1330918457_thumb.jpg

Bungs. I've never found a need for self draining. Unless your caught in a heavy down pore or a bung starts leaking the interior will remain dry.

If you do get water , it's easier just to turn on the bilge pump.

Carpet in side pockets. This will most likely get wet & you will be forever taking everthing out to dry the carpet.

I only store non rustable items like rope , plastic items in the pockets.

For those small fiddly items Bunnings sell a spare parts box. This keeps small items that may be prone to rusting or other bits & pieces contained.

Drill holes in each corner to allow any water to drain & fit a small strip of timber to the base ,at each end , so the holes are free.

post-731-092396100 1330919555_thumb.jpg Big fella give us a holla on your way through i only five min before maccas,right near cullandulla servo long beach,il have kettle on the boil for yous. We sold and relocating back to Narooma thsi will take effect on 12th of april,be a pleasure to meet you buddy...

post-731-004310100 1330919978_thumb.jpg

I'll be down your way at Easter. We stop at Mcker's , B.B. for lunch on the way down. At this time , Thursday 5th April.

Will mainly be fishing out of Bermagui.

Geoff

Gday Geoff not sure if previous msg came through. But if you got time for a quick chat on your through let me know champ,will have kettle on the boil as i ten min before you hit maccas...

Dan OK , will be in touch when we get closer to the date.

Geoff

ive been out at swr in a 4.9m center console and also been out on a dealer day in sydney on the 5.2m cuddy

witht the center console there is no need to have a bath afterwards just take soap with you

even trolling at 4-5knts you get spray

on the dealer demo day they babied it around and wouldnt take it into any swell but we still got water on us

stability is good at rest and under way

ride is slightly better then a tinny but glass would beat it any day

resonably good on fuel when max hp is mounted

id take a nice 5m glass boat over one and i had my heart on getting one too but after getting soaked too many times ive given up