Kowmung River

lukeee

Hey guys

With the influx of water In Sydney at the moment what will this mean for trout fishing in rivers such as the Kowmung / Wollondilly ? Should we wait a month or so to head down their & fish right away ? What Im asking is do the trout swim up these rivers straight away when flood's happen & waters increase in Warragamba or only during spawning season ? Cheers guys muchly appreciated

Hi Lukeee,

I'm no expert but given the river heights the fish will be hanging on under banks and the like until the rivers drop a bit. My fishing buddy lives in Jindabyne and just sent me some pictures of the thredbo and Eucy. Dont know if you know the area but On the Thredy the rivers into the carpark next to the bridge on Kozi Road and Eucys is back up to the tree line at the back. The rain should send a early spawn run up just like last year and with all the new ground being covered the fish, both raindows and browns should be in great nick. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Paul.

On Strike

If you search my posts I have discussed the effect of the rains on the Warragamba catchment, I beleieve the Wollondilly may fire wit ha spawning run for the first time in many years, the Coxes well it should have a massive run this year. The warragamba may hold trout that have come over the wall and will be worth a look in a week.

Cheers

Royce

Luke,

They are unlikely to run until they are close to spawning time. i.e April. Having said that this is the highest flood since I remember in 1998 so it is possible.

The good news is the lake is full. Some years you get the rain at the right time but if the lake is below 60% they can't proceed past a rock bar.

Geoff

Thanks for the replies guys muchly appreciated.

Looks like It'll be a good year for the fish !!

Do you reckon the natives will have more of a chance to populate now with the rain ? But also could be counter productive with the trout also proliferating ....