Trailer springs need replacing

Geoff

I need to replace the springs on my boat trailer. Have checked a few places & the pricing appears to be around the low to mid $40's each.

Any thoughts or suggestions , perhaps on pricing , before I spend the $$$$

Currently have single leaf springs , 760mm long. Trailer /boat weight 875kg

Geoff

Hey Geoff

I've just replaced springs and axel etc on my trailer for my little 12' runabout.

Got it out of mothballs as its just so much easier launching when I am on my own rather than fighting with the big boat.

Went to a specific trailer parts supplier in moorbank.

Wow Was cheap as chips.

Don't know If I break site rules if I gave the name here though?

Will try to pm you with the details

Regards

Trapper Tom.

Ps Mods am I breaking site rulkes if I provide the info here.????

Tks for your replies ,

Trapper I think the one your reffering to at Moorebank is Carasel on Newbridge Rd.

I rang them , they wanted $148 for the springs , U bolts & fish plate

Contacted a few others but the best so far is a trailer manufacture at Sefton ,

5 min from my place , $110 for a pair of Al-Ko 1000kg rated springs & includes all the fittings.

I don't think I will do much better

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

theres a company on the central coast i use they have all the hard to find bits and pieces my springs are eye to eye and a certain length i picked them up for about $120 a pair there at tuggerah u can find them by searching google for trailer spares

Tks for your replies ,

Trapper I think the one your reffering to at Moorebank is Carasel on Newbridge Rd.

I rang them , they wanted $148 for the springs , U bolts & fish plate

Contacted a few others but the best so far is a trailer manufacture at Sefton ,

5 min from my place , $110 for a pair of Al-Ko 1000kg rated springs & includes all the fittings.

I don't think I will do much better

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Are you fitting them yourself?

How do you know you got the right size?

Are they standard size?

Hi Geoff

Are you fitting them yourself?

How do you know you got the right size?

Are they standard size?

Yes , I'm fitting them myself. The biggest hassel is removing the old springs which have very rusty U bolts.

It can be very time consuming trying to undo the nuts with WD40 & a spanner.

Easiest & fastest way is to cut the bolts with an angle grinder.

I took the removed spring with me & the guy selected a spring from stock that had the same curvature , length & width.

The new spring are rated at 1000kg which is OK as my total weight is around 850kg.

I don't know about "standard size" but mine are a common size. All the companies I rang had them in stock.

If your thinking about replacing your springs measure the length as this is the main aspect. That & the gross boat / trailer weight is sufficent information to make phone inquiries.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

remember to count your old springs leafs and replace with the same if u get more leafs your boat will bounce down the highway if u get less u may damage them

remember to count your old springs leafs and replace with the same if u get more leafs your boat will bounce down the highway if u get less u may damage them

Gazza That's also important when purchasing new springs. The damaged spring was a single leaf so unable to make that direct comparrison.

The supplier offered a choice of a soft or firm spring. Following some dicussion looking at the pro's & con's I decided on the firm.

Geoff