Botany Bay 24/03

quintrex480

Hi raiders, went out with Formosan today, (in my boat this time). Hoping to replicate our successes of late in landing big kings.

A little bit of a late start, got to our squid grounds and straight away we were onto them, netted 10 in around an hour. Headed out to our usual spot, whacked on a nice medium size squid and we started our usual routine of downrigging, not one hit after a few passes, but the next pass ended up being a nice fat salmon. After about a dozen passes we ended up with only 3 salmon, decided to stop wasting our squid on the salmon, we headed inside, ended up with a double hookup of rats.

Well, guess we can't get onto the hoodies every week, but wasn't too bad a day anyway, and ended up with a heap of calamari rings, :thumbup:

I've been getting quite a bit of PM's on squid jigs, colours, sizes... so I thought I would post a pic of my arsenal, the 3 in the middle of the picture are my gun jigs... they never fail me! :biggrin2: All but 1 are yamashita's and range from 2.0-3.0. But the main thing is to have a wide range of colors, Formosan got his share of squid on a clear body white.

post-16665-086645400 1332579795_thumb.jpg

post-16665-074546200 1332579808_thumb.jpg

post-16665-064417300 1332579820_thumb.jpg

post-16665-025425200 1332579834_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

A few hundred dollars worth of jig collection there. I see a few I like :thumbup: ... First time on the mellenium hull and I didnt get seasick. :thumbup:

Was a decent day out, no decent kings but gotta be happy with the squids.

We'll get them next time. BTW Nice Saltiga Overhead. :biggrin2:

Edited by Formosan

Nice haul of squid. Is the swell normally as big as it was around Bare at 7 this morning? Not knowing the area it caught me off guard, so we spent the day bottom fishing for under size.

The area being so close to the heads will get the brunt of a swell, just be careful when crossing through of the bommie when in swelly conditions. Head around by going towards north head first then coming back in.

Great haul of squid, considering i just got a live bait tank in, i think i need a haul like that to get into the kings !

The live bait tank is definitely a must, but as you can see sometimes having squid still doesn't land you those big kings. Having said this however, we did mark a lot of activity on the sounder but they just weren't interested. We even put a yakka down, but still no takers.

The only difference between last week and this week was that we were fishing a falling tide this week, we all know that tides affect feeding patterns inside estauries, but does it also affect fish outside in deeper waters? Anyone have any comments on this?

The live bait tank is definitely a must, but as you can see sometimes having squid still doesn't land you those big kings. Having said this however, we did mark a lot of activity on the sounder but they just weren't interested. We even put a yakka down, but still no takers.

The only difference between last week and this week was that we were fishing a falling tide this week, we all know that tides affect feeding patterns inside estauries, but does it also affect fish outside in deeper waters? Anyone have any comments on this?

Hey quintrex480,

Tide has a bearing on fishing right out to browns mountain and beyond.

It's known that baitfish will come close to the surface on the top of a high tide.

Marlin fishos know this well. Just ask Ross Hunter...

So if the same applies to baitfish in close, then the kingies will be waiting for them to rise in the water column and make them more huntable ? Visible ? Maybe ?

I'm just drawing conclusions using the facts we have.

Also, the high tide in the morning brings the cleanest clearest water in from the ocean.

Maybe something about the last part of the high tide brings some characteristic in the water that tells the kingies that now is the time to feed ?

It's all speculation be we love to think about it because it spawns ideas in our heads that we just have to try out and this gets US all excited and looking forward to the next trip.....

I would hate to know everything because fishing would be very predictable....

Just on another note of kingie fishing, there was (still is?) a group of commercial fishos on the south coast (Jervis Bay) that spray water onto the surface from pipes all around their boat.

the water jets going into the water excites the kingies.

I was also told they use some sort of acoustic technique to get them around...

These guys are very successful...

How did they come up with this stuff ?

Ideas and experimenting....

Gotta love the thinking fisho...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hey quintrex480,

Tide has a bearing on fishing right out to browns mountain and beyond.

It's known that baitfish will come close to the surface on the top of a high tide.

Marlin fishos know this well. Just ask Ross Hunter...

So if the same applies to baitfish in close, then the kingies will be waiting for them to rise in the water column and make them more huntable ? Visible ? Maybe ?

I'm just drawing conclusions using the facts we have.

Also, the high tide in the morning brings the cleanest clearest water in from the ocean.

Maybe something about the last part of the high tide brings some characteristic in the water that tells the kingies that now is the time to feed ?

It's all speculation be we love to think about it because it spawns ideas in our heads that we just have to try out and this gets US all excited and looking forward to the next trip.....

I would hate to know everything because fishing would be very predictable....

Just on another note of kingie fishing, there was (still is?) a group of commercial fishos on the south coast (Jervis Bay) that spray water onto the surface from pipes all around their boat.

the water jets going into the water excites the kingies.

I was also told they use some sort of acoustic technique to get them around...

These guys are very successful...

How did they come up with this stuff ?

Ideas and experimenting....

Gotta love the thinking fisho...

Tony

Thanks Tony for the insight, you're always an abundance of knowledge :thumbup:

that part about the spraying the water onto the surface, I guess that will cause some kind of white wash, which I do believe kingies like to hang around, so that would be a top idea. Now to hook my Karcher power spray somehow to my boat hehehehe :074:

And about the acoustic, read somewhere that kingies are attracted to the sound of a downrigger cable making the hum noise when downrigging, so maybe the acoustic sound is something like that maybe?

Another theory I've read about why fish are most active in early morning and dusk is around the angle which sunlight hits the water, apparently they can see baitfish better from the bottom when the light is coming onto the surface at a lower angle?