Hawkesbury

peterj70

Hi Fishraiders,

It is my sons 13th birthday coming up and he wants to go fishing.

With it being the full moon if the weather was nice to us i would like to take him for a night fish and have a go for a jewie.

Can anyone suggest any where to have a go in the upper hawkesbury/pittwater area where we might be a chance??

I have never fished for jewfish before, so any trade secrets or tips would be very much appreciated.

Pete'...

Jewies in Pittwater are really a hit and miss.... The hawkesbury should be good though. The jewies are at Flint n Steel, Juno, Bridges, Gunyah Point, Vines and Bar point. Livies are great as you will get the odd stonker bream/flathead on them. I find that tide changes around the bridges are the best time but down at Milson Island, Run in is best. The NW corner of Milson Island near the channel marker is my favourite spot on the hawkesbury. Just recently i pulled my PB bream (44cm) out of here on a piece of mullet fillet. Got a few flatties, tailor and a run on the the jewie rod.... Make sure if you are up that way that u give it a go.

Good luck!

Thanks guys,

All great info what sort of depth would i look for? eg flint and steel varies from 15mts - 6-mts within a nine iron.

Ive heard that mulllet strips work, but never had any luck!

I dont think that live bait will be an option, I have have not mastered that skill yet..

Pete'..

When it comes to the Hawkesbury, a lot of people say its "hit and miss"... I've been fishing that system for the past year (given up on it now), and its more miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss :thumbdown:

Having said that, I caught my first jewie there near the railway bridge, not directly at the bridge. This was during the day too around 2pm. I got it at a nice gutter, I was using a squid strip with 2 x 5/0 hooks. Best bet is to sound for gutters\drops.

Read this link, it covers everything:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=36153

cheers,

dave

Thanks guys,

All great info what sort of depth would i look for? eg flint and steel varies from 15mts - 6-mts within a nine iron.

Ive heard that mulllet strips work, but never had any luck!

I dont think that live bait will be an option, I have have not mastered that skill yet..

Pete'..

just use a real small hook and bread for livies

Mate, livies are a lot easier to catch (sometimes an exception) if you go to the right place. For the Hawkesbury, head to West Head near the pillboxes (pittwater). Just grab a heap of burley and a bait jig and you should be off and running. First time i tried (ever) was at this spot and i caught 12 on a jig in 10 mins! Have a go as livies are a top bait!

Tom