Thredbo and Eucembene

I was keen for some dry fly fishing on the Thredbo but the weather was not with me.

Last Wednesday the weather was intermittent rain. Started about 10.30 with no interest in the dry.

So got down to double nymph rig with same result. Continued changing nymphs with no success till after 1.00pm with 1 small rainbow.

post-10909-093487300 1333279748_thumb.jpg

After another hour of this went back to a 12 modified Wulff and some fish started to show. They were predominately in the smaller runs between the better pools. It was satisfying to get among some fish again. Fishing methodically along the pools showed up fish fairly consistently to the dry. None of the fish were large. The photo’s are not very interesting, it is hard to get more interesting pictures by yourself.

post-10909-061946500 1333279759_thumb.jpg

post-10909-040584600 1333279770_thumb.jpg

post-10909-039304600 1333279780_thumb.jpg

Since the Thredbo was not too inspiring I opted to fish my old stamping ground on the Eucembene.

The day was just a glorious, still and warm day. The mist did not leave till 10.30. First run showed up fish taking a 14 bead-head nymph.

post-10909-028369100 1333279871_thumb.jpg

This was consistent with 2 or 3 fish coming from about every second run. 12.30 the first fish took the dry and I was expecting the afternoon to improve for the dry. Next run a good fish came up and inspected the Humpy. I dropped back to change flies and saw lots of grasshoppers, caught one and threw it to my friend. He did not take it and nor did any of his colleagues in that pool.

post-10909-034921000 1333279888_thumb.jpg

post-10909-038428500 1333279909_thumb.jpg

Even with this information I still put on a parachute hopper. While some smaller fish took the dry in the tails good fish would not come to the party. For the next hour I tried 3 different dries for no fish. Finally conceded defeat and when back to the humpy and nymph. Finished on a low note without and further fish coming to the party.

PS Saw this incredible worm on the trail Above 1300 meters you see a whole range of different insects

post-10909-073179700 1333279927_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I noticed one of your Brownies had some red spots towards the tail. I haven't seen a Brown Trout here in Australia till yours with red spots.

In the UK virtually all Brown trout have red spots.

Have you come across many fish with red spots, or was that unusual?

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Geoff, I noticed one of your Brownies had some red spots towards the tail. I haven't seen a Brown Trout here in Australia till yours with red spots.

In the UK virtually all Brown trout have red spots.

Have you come across many fish with red spots, or was that unusual?

Cheers, Chris.

Chris,

Nearly all river Browns have red spots. The number and intensity of spots varies. Fish from shallow clear water seem the most spotted.

Gerald Manlley Hopkins is most eloquant and says " rose moles upon the trout that swims"

Irongustavus will post a report soon from the Kowmung with some fish with stiking rose moles.

Geoff

Thanks for the report Geoff. A couple of friends hit the Eucumbene over the weekend and I'm just waiting to hear from them.

By the looks of things, we should be in for a really good season.

Regards Caddis