stopping corrosion

reyzor

hey all,

a mate of mine has recently got his hands on a brand new bar crusher.... being a tinny i want to know what steps to take to stop corrosion when we bolt tie down point to it.

we are looking at making up somewhere to store the engle so it doesnt get thrown around.

with dissimilar metals etc we would hate to see any corrosion start on his new pride and joy..

any ideas, products, or methods we can use?

cheers...

Firstly , only use 316 stainless bolt or screws. These are best purchased from a marine dealer as hardwase stores sell S/S but in a lower grade.

Corrosion occurs between the fastner & the aluminium when exposed to salt water therefore , use a good quality sealant under the bracket or fitting like Sikaflex also available from marine dealers.

Geoff

hey all,

a mate of mine has recently got his hands on a brand new bar crusher.... being a tinny i want to know what steps to take to stop corrosion when we bolt tie down point to it.

we are looking at making up somewhere to store the engle so it doesnt get thrown around.

with dissimilar metals etc we would hate to see any corrosion start on his new pride and joy..

any ideas, products, or methods we can use?

cheers...

Hi

Just get a tube of Duralac from the boating store and use it between all your screws, bolts etc etc... this should help somewhat

If installing surface mount rod holders etc , use a thin sheet of silicon between it and the boat... i use to use cheap ipad silicon covers and cut that up to size... you can find these for a few dollars on FleeBay.

Cheers

Trung

Hi

Just get a tube of Duralac from the boating store and use it between all your screws, bolts etc etc... this should help somewhat

If installing surface mount rod holders etc , use a thin sheet of silicon between it and the boat... i use to use cheap ipad silicon covers and cut that up to size... you can find these for a few dollars on FleeBay.

Cheers

Trung

yeah thats a good idea..... i guess im more worried about where the bolt penetrates through the tinny...... i gues there isnt much of a way you can stop that.....

As Gary says - prime and paint raw all raw metal first, then use the additional product. Its the raw metal that does it - that's why people have corrosion probs on newish boats because slack dealers just drill and bolt. Doesn't take long.

Duralac is a carcinogenic, Tefgel is another product which works better than Duralac without the side effects. You must drill the holes bigger than needed and prime and paint as mentioned and have a rubber boot between the different grades of metals. You should try and have rubber inbetween the bolts and the holes that you have drilled too.