Kowmung River fishing

Centrepin and I went on a little Kowmung river mission the other week.

We weren't sure we'd get fish on the weekend, but as we walked downstream, away from the river so as not to spook the fish, we saw this:

post-17523-096328200 1334467229_thumb.jpg

You may have to take my word for it, or get out the magnifying glass, but there is a good sized brown trout dead centre of the frame. There's some bonus fish in there too, if you can spot all 8 then you win a set of steak knives. We put in downstream of the fish. Not wanting to spook the fish with a dodgy cast, I turned around to have a practice cast into some less prime water. First cast, the fly was on the water for all of three seconds when it was pounced upon by a feisty rainbow.

post-17523-056434000 1334467269_thumb.jpg

You can imagine that this filled us with confidence. But from then the fishing was hard. I had two other fish rise to my size 10 parachute hopper but missed both strikes, while Geoff missed a few on the royal wulff. After a few hours though we changed to very small dries (size 16 adams), and the fish started to come. First Geoff got a few rainbows:

post-17523-091235300 1334467341_thumb.jpg

And then a few browns came to the party:

post-17523-011273600 1334467387_thumb.jpg

We both ended up the day by casting to some rising fish, Geoff getting a good sized brown and me getting two smaller models.

post-17523-084996700 1334467419_thumb.jpg

We followed up with some wine and excellent campfire cooking . . . kudos Geoff.

All in all a great trip and some beautifully coloured brown trout. The red spots were apparent and numerous. Beautiful scenery, and beautiful fish. The company wasn't terrible either :thumbup:

Great report Angus, looks like a nice stretch of water. I'm terrible at spotting fish but I'm sure I can see the bigger one in the middle, as for the rest of them no chance. Did you catch any of them.