How rain affects different species feeding?

BMac

Just a quick one guys. I have often wondered if there were any 'golden' rules when it comes to the influx of fresh water post heavy rain. I have been fishing the harbour for a few years now and haven't really been able to identify any major patterns apart from a lack of surface feeding schools in the harbour - presumeably from the lack of vison for the sight feeding predators. I went out today and it was particularly quiet in the harbour with the birds not even taking flight. There was some interest from the kings outside, but still am yet to make any valuable conclusions. Thoughts?

Just a quick one guys. I have often wondered if there were any 'golden' rules when it comes to the influx of fresh water post heavy rain. I have been fishing the harbour for a few years now and haven't really been able to identify any major patterns apart from a lack of surface feeding schools in the harbour - presumeably from the lack of vison for the sight feeding predators. I went out today and it was particularly quiet in the harbour with the birds not even taking flight. There was some interest from the kings outside, but still am yet to make any valuable conclusions. Thoughts?

Hey Bmac,

I'm no expert, but there are some facts that need to be considered when formulating theories about fish feeding during fresh water influx.

1. Fresh water is less dense than salt water - meaning fresh water floats over the salt water.

2. Currents and eddies can mix the fresh and salt water such that you don't always get the fresh water sitting directly over the salt, but in still water, fresh will float on salt.

3. Different species have a different tolerance to salinity level changes. Mullet can tolerate completely fresh (as can bream, bass, EP's etc) while others not. So the lack of surface action could mean the there is a thick layer of fresh over the salt and the baitfish don't like it, so if any feeding is going on from predators, it may well be under the surface.

4. Other water-bourne particles brought by rains can also affect fish - silt can get into gills and suffocate fish, or other chemicals washed in off roadways can upset fish.

So, taking stuff like this into account, you have to decide where the fish are likely to be, upper reaches of river, lower reaches, what level of the water column and would they be feeding or just trying to survive the conditions...

Not so obvious is it ?

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

After a bit off rain I would not target kings at all due to lack of squid but instead target Jews bream and sharks off the beaches. If u think the rain we just had is affecting fishing then head over to the beaches heaps of tailor salmon and no shortage of bronzies if you want to have some fun

Some of my best tailor fishing in Port Hacking has been after heavy rain causing discoloured water, so I assume this would occur in other places. The tailor may not be jumping, but they are deeper, sometimes only taking baits from the bottom and not near the surface.

Other fish also bite more freely in discoloured water.

Just because the surface water, mostly fresh water, is discoloured, sometimes the salt water underneath is fairly clear. The fresh water contains the suspended fine dirt particles. However, after periods of heavy rain, the salt water as well becomes murky, to the point where it looks like liquid mud. Baits with more smell, such as pilchards, mullet fillets, blood worms are more likely to be detected by fish in murky water.

About 25yrs ago when I was much younger and keener. I scuba dived South West Arm during and after heavy flooding. The surface for about 10 feet was brown and muddy but below for 30 feet was almost as normal. Even the light wasn't greatly effected. similar as stated above.

HG

I find that after or during rain the pelagics stay deep and are very heard to catch. Flathead are usually my most reliable target when theres rain or a lot of fresh about. Bream aswell. Having said that, i have noticed that just about all fish bite ALOT harder just before a storm hits!