Need help with new reel

clemsy

Hi guys,

I have recently been testing out my new Shimano Sustain 1000 FG, I've encountered one problem, but I need some help with it. When a reel has rough gears, will it feel rough just by itself spinning (not on a rod)?

When i tie on a lure and go fishing with hardbodies, I notice the reel feels a little rough on the retrieve (although I was retrieving against the current) and when i use sp and use a steady retrieve, there isnt any roughness.

All in my head?

The reel is smooth just on its own, it's just with a hardbody lure. It gets a bit rough, actually it's hard to tell if it's the vibration of the lure.

Is it cause the sustain has a ci4 rotor, that it is more sensitive? My stradic FJ has no problem of this nature.

Hi guys,

I have recently been testing out my new Shimano Sustain 1000 FG, I've encountered one problem, but I need some help with it. When a reel has rough gears, will it feel rough just by itself spinning (not on a rod)?

When i tie on a lure and go fishing with hardbodies, I notice the reel feels a little rough on the retrieve (although I was retrieving against the current) and when i use sp and use a steady retrieve, there isnt any roughness.

All in my head?

The reel should have more resistance under load when turning the handle but it shouldnt feel 'rougher' at all, as you say it does. Even more so on a high quality reel like a Sustain. There very well may be a fault with the reel under load especially how you say your Stradic doesnt do the same. Hard to determine for sure without seeing it..

It gets a bit rough, actually it's hard to tell if it's the vibration of the lure.

Try this..

With the reel on a rod, pull off a few meters of line. Hold the line just behind the first guide between your fingers to create some resistance and wind in. See if the problem is still there..