Weipa- April 2012

rjc123

Hey raiders,

just got back from weipa. Thought i'd give you a run down of our time up there with a few pics. We landed 65 barra in 4 days which was great!

Day 1- The first day overall was probably the best. We landed 5 big jacks to 49cm, 6 barra to 69cm, blue salmon to 55cm, fingermark to 50cm, queenies to 70cm and a heap of cod and big bream all on live bait. The most productive part of the day was late afternoon just before a storm where we got most of the jacks, barra and queenies in less than an hour! I even caught a small queenie on a bare hook when winding it back in!!! Not a bad start to the trip at all with some jack and fingermark fillets for the table!

Day 2- Day 2 was another great day. The first few hours of the morning were spent pulling barra out of the snags on lures. We pulled 40+ barra out of one big snag! Crazy when you see em boofing your lure as soon as it hits the water! Sight fishing at its best! The fishing was slow from then until late arvo. We found a weed flat running along the mangroves and snared 8 barra and a 45cm jack both on unweighted live mullet and weedless SP. Biggest barra was around 60cm but a few 80+ fish were missed...

Day 3- Day 3 was spent offshore in the gulf. We started off with some small mackies and a monster 106cm Queenie! Nailed a good longtail tuna aswell at 80cm which was a real challenge with sharks around! Nailed around 10 big queenies later on aswell as a monster mackerel bite off! The mackie engulfed my popper and shot off only to have the fight end with a bite off less than 30s later... Also pulled a couple of small barra from the beaches on the way home and a little 70ish cm cobe form the back of a manta ray!

Day 4- We elected to go back up the creeks today in search of that monster barra! Stared off with a few jacks, small barra, queenies and cod that provided a few hours fun on live mullet. A couple more queenies from the channel near by before we went hunting for a threadie. Missed a few hits and landed a nice jack and 4 barra in the meantime. The rain soon came and created the mother of all storms which made us call it a day just after lunch... Note the best ending to the trip but thats ok.

We nailed a few new species and had a great time doing it. Already trying to plan my next trip!! To all those that haven't been up there, do it. You won't regret it! The only thing i can say is next time im staying up there! The fishings too good! Pics will be up as soon as possible. Having a little trouble..

post-14949-018352900 1335008026_thumb.png

post-14949-009085600 1335008573_thumb.png

post-14949-035156400 1335008593_thumb.png

post-14949-090076500 1335008743_thumb.png

post-14949-014294000 1335056244_thumb.png

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

I've been trying to plan a trip up there myself.

Great report. Did you plan it yourself or go with a charter.

Went out with a charter mate. Thats the best way to do it. They know every bend in every creek down to the nearest snag! Heres some more pics!

post-14949-009208300 1335008915_thumb.png

post-14949-048156300 1335008955_thumb.png

post-14949-039077700 1335008988_thumb.png

post-14949-079621700 1335009132_thumb.png

post-14949-089740900 1335010653_thumb.png

Edited by mack attack 79

Went out with a charter mate. Thats the best way to do it. They know every bend in every creek down to the nearest snag! Can anyone help me get the pics up? Having a bit of trouble with "this file is too large to upload"....

I've been using this program called free image converter.

it's more of a resizer. Very simple program.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Image-Converter/3000-2056_4-10632880.html?tag=mncol;7

Try the link or paste it in your browser.

Edited by J Hooked

Excellent report Tom. I'm heading up next month and just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited I stumble across your report and I'm buzzing even more. Well done on some great fish and the pics are awesome.

For anyone keen to get up there in late May check out fishing trips section as i possibly have a cheap option to form a self guided convoy.

Cheers again Tom for the awesome report, the fishing up that way is incredible!

Guy

Excellent report Tom. I'm heading up next month and just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited I stumble across your report and I'm buzzing even more. Well done on some great fish and the pics are awesome.

For anyone keen to get up there in late May check out fishing trips section as i possibly have a cheap option to form a self guided convoy.

Cheers again Tom for the awesome report, the fishing up that way is incredible!

Guy

It is mate! Ive already booked NEXT YEAR!

Sound like you had a ball. Did you get the barra in the pine?

I've had a few trips up there myself, but on the Tillimay and tenders.

Never done well on the Barra up there, but had a ball on the Queeny's, Mac's, Tuna and other fish in the past.

Rod

Hi

Some good jacks there they certainly go hard when you hook up.

Live baiting with mullet is very productive sometimes the barra can be very fussy.

April really is one of the best months up there. Still have the little creeks running across the beach at the end of the wet and the little waterfalls off the cliffs onto the beach.

Have just booked my flight for early April 2013, have two weeks up there, already working out which outfits to take.

Bruce

Thanks guys, I've already booked for next year too! We got the barra in the nominade and hay rivers. We haven't got many barra in the pine in the last couple of trips, mainly just jacks, grunter, queenies and salmon there. Can't wait for next time!