North East Victoria Streams

The Nariel is the most wonderful river. Clear, deep, cold, freestone with only a scattering of willows.

I had avoided it after hearing reports of carp but it has such a reputation I had to see how it was performing after the good seasons. We stopped in at the tackle store in Corryong and received the typical tackle store report “ you have to stand behind a tree to tie your fly on”. However I did get a gem of information. Green, gold tungsten beadhead nymph in size 14.

I drove from the Murray valley highway for 21k.ms alongside the river, there was another 10k.ms to go and started fishing below the third bridge. Started about 11.30am and walked downstream with Evi about 2 k.ms and left her at a nice run, and proceeded for another 10 minutes. The suggested nymph was under a dry and small to medium rainbows were plentiful in the shallow runs.

After about 30 minutes I got back to the run where I left Evi and she was still in the same run. This was either a very good or a very bad sign. When I saw her face I could tell it was a good sign. She had caught one fish but it was a cracker rainbow, probably her PB. She was elated and the day was compete.

The day continued in much the same way. As we approached some willows some lovely browns also took the nymph. We had a crowd back at camp and brought a few home for the smoker.

Apologies for lack of photo’s in this post. I forgot the camera on this outing and got sick of fish photo’s taken on my own.

Here are a few of the river taken later.

post-10909-009572000 1335333155_thumb.jpg

post-10909-045302200 1335333167_thumb.jpg

The Cudgewa is not a noted trout stream but it was close to our camp and I had caught a few fish here previously. It is smaller delightful water but not clear like the Nariel.

The first outing Ben and Aaron went upstream spinning while Mick and I went downstream. In 2 hours the only fish seen by Mick and I was one he caught spinning.

post-10909-066924000 1335333142_thumb.jpg

The others saw lots of fish follow there lures and caught 3.

The next day Evi and I returned upstream. The first 30 minutes was blank and I was expecting the same from the rest of the day when fish started to appear. They readily took a brown nymph with an orange beadhead ( new Zealand fly) and we ended up with plenty of fish in a 2 hour session. Even one took the dry fly indicator.

Evi and I fished the same water again the next day. What confidence we embarked with for no sign of fish. That is what can happen as you lead up to spawning time.

This is only 2 rivers in the area. There is the Thowgla, Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta and a couple of others all within 1 hour from our camp at Lucyvale.

Can’t wait till next Easter when we will have another 7 – 10 days in the area.

Evi and Geoff

some very nice pictures there.

honestly i never even knew these places existed till i joined this forum. we're so lucky to be living in such an awesome country.

One day i will visit these places...need to learn to fly fish first lol

You and Evi get to visit some terrific locations Geoff! Sounds like you had a great day on the river. What a pleasant surprise to get 'the good oil' from a local and have it actually pay off! Great report as always mate.

Cheers

Ian