Iron Cove 3/7/05

trev

Walked out of Church this morning and said to myself This too good a day to waist on domestic duties. So I went home cooked lunch for the family packed some lures and spin rod and then headed off to Iron Cove for an evening session.

Got there at about 4:30pm and the water was really clear. I thought I would start with HB and chucked a gold/crome producers minnow arround......nothing. I eventually lost the lure to a snag :ranting2: I tied on a 2" hawg in watermelon and had a couple of really hard hits but no hook up. I then went to a different area suggested by Matrix :1clap::1clap: good advice I picked up a nice little flathead to 37.5cm on the hawg(released) I then almost straight away caught a smaller flathead 28cm. I decided to see if any other SP would do good. I tried a little bloodworm colour single tail nothing not one hit. I then tried another of these that I had put some rubber legs on with fly tying legs and needle instant success two more casts and a small tailor next cast another tailor. tried three other SP including squidies with no luck tied on another pwr hawg in watermelon and landed a nice 48cm dusky(dinner) He busted off as I lifted him onto shore (must take net !!) I tied the now chewed Hawg back on and cast in almost the same spot and again drag sings this time a much bigger flathead unfortunately I could not lift him up and was busted off trying :ranting2::ranting2: In all seriousness she would have gone over 70cm easy. Man I was p&%%ed off. I know I would have let it go at that size but I really wanted to land it and take a snap on the phone camera. After that I was shaking. Walked back along bank and caught three more small tailor.

An excellent little evening relax. Got home at about 7:45pm and was greeted with a nice hot dinner and "would you like a beer darling" Some days are just perfect..

Cheers

:beersmile: Trev

Guest Jocool

Shame about losing the big girl Trev...But its good to get out there!

Whats the SP with the legs???? You have a pic of it???

Shame about losing the big girl Trev...But its good to get out there!

Whats the SP with the legs???? You have a pic of it???

56312[/snapback]

Joe I don't have digital camera and as yet can't link the phone to the computer. I will be at my parents tomorow so will take a snap there and post it tomorrow.

To explain though. I got a single tail grub and pulled some rubber legs through it with a needle, thought it might add to atraction/ action and seemed to work. I will post a pick tomorrow.

Cheers

Trev

I do the same, I use the spare skirts you can buy for spinnerbaits for the leg material (although the first ones I made I used the stretchy threads from the inside of an old occy strap). You can really trick up your SPs.

On of the best ones is to get the small size berkley frogs in green or black and put legs on them and cast them with a flyrod in against the pylons as a crab imitation. Use them unweighted they just drift down wafting from side to side. You do need good polaroids as sometimes the takes are very hard to detect unless you see them.

Also working on developing a very good looking ( to me at least, havent tried it on the fish) baby squid imitation. Those little legs should look great.

Regards POGO

I do the same, I use the spare skirts you can buy for spinnerbaits for the leg material (although the first ones I made I used the stretchy threads from the inside of an old occy strap).  You can really trick up your SPs.

On of the best ones is to get the small size berkley frogs in green or black and put legs on them and cast them with a flyrod in against the pylons as a crab imitation. Use them unweighted they just drift down wafting from side to side. You do need good polaroids as sometimes the takes are very hard to detect unless you see them.

Also working on developing a very good looking ( to me at least, havent tried it on the fish) baby squid imitation. Those little legs should look great.

Regards POGO

56318[/snapback]

Pogo,

I have tied a sqid pattern using white rubber from my daughters hair ties and hot melt glue for body. I don't do anywhere near enough fly fishing though so have not caught anything on it but it looks the goods in my mates lure testing tank (AKA swimming pool)

Cheers

Trev

Terrific session their Trev,

that is a heap of fish for a couple of hours. I use the rubber legs for tying fly poppers for bass and bream they look more real than real bugs. That is a good idea with the plastic tails, I'll have to give that a go.

Having trouble attaching pics of SP have sent it to Ken to try and post.

Cheers

Trev

Have reduced size of file hope it works.post-688-1120468539_thumb.jpg

Edited by trev