how many lb braid for flathead do you use?

Spooooled

Hey just a question: you guys reporting windknots in various brands, do you turn the reel handle to flick the bail arm over at end of cast or do you use your hand? Just MO but I think it's one of the biggest causes of windknots.

Hey just a question: you guys reporting windknots in various brands, do you turn the reel handle to flick the bail arm over at end of cast or do you use your hand? Just MO but I think it's one of the biggest causes of windknots.

I always do it manually and never have any problems (almost).

whats the best way to do it?

Id say he means to close it manually to make sure the line goes onto the reel properly. Here's what I think of wind knots. ie when the line comes off the reel in a bunch/tangle during a cast.

They are caused by 2 things. Excessive line twist and too full a spool. The line twist is easy to figure out. Line comes off the reel going crazy as you cast and all twists together forming a knoted mess.

The other cause happens when there is too much line on the reel. As the loops come off the spool during a cast, they drag loops underneath them off at the same time and they tangle. If the spool is less full, the loops coming off the spool come off at a greater angle because they are deeper and have to go over the spool lip, so there is less chance of dragging loops under them off at the same time.

Hope that makes sense :D

I would like to have my reels full right up to the spool lip for max distance, but you cant if you want to avoid wind knots. They need to be under filled.

Id say he means to close it manually to make sure the line goes onto the reel properly. Here's what I think of wind knots. ie when the line comes off the reel in a bunch/tangle during a cast.

They are caused by 2 things. Excessive line twist and too full a spool. The line twist is easy to figure out. Line comes off the reel going crazy as you cast and all twists together forming a knoted mess.

The other cause happens when there is too much line on the reel. As the loops come off the spool during a cast, they drag loops underneath them off at the same time and they tangle. If the spool is less full, the loops coming off the spool come off at a greater angle because they are deeper and have to go over the spool lip, so there is less chance of dragging loops under them off at the same time.

Hope that makes sense :D

I would like to have my reels full right up to the spool lip for max distance, but you cant if you want to avoid wind knots. They need to be under filled.

thanks for that sure did make sense :thumbup:

Just another question are the squidgy fish in 65mm too small? or will they still get me a couple of flatties?

Thanks

Those 65mm Squidgy Fish will definately catch flathead, but if you want bigger flathead and less smaller ones, go up to an 80 or 100mm Fish :)

Thanks for your help much appreciated :thumbup:

whoever said that 10lb castaway breaks at 13lb was totally wrong. it is an igfa rated line and breaks below 10lb. i have the castaway in 10 and 12lb and powerpro in 5lb. the sunline casts much further :)

how is the castaway? does it give the same result as power pro as in more hits on your lure or is one better then the other?

Agree but yes I manually the bail. Also found trimming the tags on the double uni as tight as possible a big help. Was worried they may work loose but so far so good.

i guess power pro it is, has anyone used sunline rock fish?

We use the rock fish in 4,8,10lb and have awesome abrasion resistance we use 10lb for flatties and the only time i have been rubbed of by a flatty was on 4lb (once) also keeps good knot strength.

We use the rock fish in 4,8,10lb and have awesome abrasion resistance we use 10lb for flatties and the only time i have been rubbed of by a flatty was on 4lb (once) also keeps good knot strength.

thanks for that bass boy is it thin like other sunline braid?

Sorry spooled i thought you were talking about the leader rock fish not the braid. I havent use that. But braid wise i use suffix advanced in 6,8 and 10lb and i reckon its awesome, caught good salmon on the 6, and barra to 65cm on the 10lb. Thin good knot strength and good to cast.

Sorry spooled i thought you were talking about the leader rock fish not the braid. I havent use that. But braid wise i use suffix advanced in 6,8 and 10lb and i reckon its awesome, caught good salmon on the 6, and barra to 65cm on the 10lb. Thin good knot strength and good to cast.

all good bassboy thanks anyway for letting me know about the leader

Yes the leader is the best thing to ever happen to the world. Best leader for it;s price on the market. If you have some $$ to spend then get the SunLine VHard.

Thanks i think ill be putting power pro to thanks for your help

Fireline is a good , cheap line but frays after 3 sessions and at the start it feels like rope... I went out for Jews yesteraday with my 3-6kg, 10lb power pro and 14lb leader and the flathead were still engulfing the lures no problem.

It just becomes a matter of casting distance, I can cast 3 or 5lb power pro 50% further than 10 lb.

What I usually do is use 3lb and 6lb leader, then tie on a 1lb bite leader, so if I go breaming I snip the bite leader off and WALLAH! :)

Quick question. Does all braid fray or just fireline?

Yeah they all fray, but as spoooled said, when using sinkers they fray loads, that's why I don't recommend using bait with braid....

With braid you get what you pay for, that's why fire line isn't the best, because it;s so cheap, I personally think powerpro is an awesome braid for it's price!

if you want to use sinkers best option is to get the sinker clips ezi rig stuff prevents the braid from fraying

Edited by Spoooled