unexpected by catch whilst blackfish fishing

rikkigilbey

So i popped out this arvo to harbour on the hunt for some blackfish, geared up, baited up with weed as per usual.

during the session i get a slow down, so i pause, wait and lift!.. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the fish shoots off into the distance, screaming off line of the low set drag, i turn him, he comes shooting back at me and jutts off to the left and is messing around in the oysters, im thinking, ?????? this aint no blackfish, if it is its one thats insane.

so after more fun and turning him this way and that i see the tell tale silver flash of a bream, and she's in the net. i was gobbed smacked, genuinely caught in the mouth, i couldn't believe it, she went 35cm to boot.

post-19135-058930500 1335517332_thumb.jpg

post-19135-042326100 1335516864_thumb.jpg

But in speaking to one of the local pros, turns out this isnt too random at all! apparently in april-may time big bream tend to feed on weed and cabbage, just prior to them going off to spawn! no one really knows why, but an interesting fact!

have a good weekend raiders!

tight lines.

Gilbey

post-19135-033641700 1335517644_thumb.jpg

Edited by gilbey

A trick to fishing is to look in the stomach of the fish you catch and clean, to see what they are feeding on. A number of bream will have various bits of weed, worms, hard pieces of marine organisms such as small sea squirts similar to baby cunjevoi, crabs, small pipi shells, etc. Despite being hard to catch some times, bream will eat just about anything when hungry.

Yowie.