are these tiny flathead?

ginko

Question

On Anzac Day we took the boys out for a walk from forty baskets beach to manly. On the way, just south east of fairlight beach are some great little rock pools. While I fretted about blue rings, my 3 boys busied themselves poking fingers into each pool. Then the eldest cried out "flathead"!

I swear, they are anatomically identical to full size flatties. As you can see in the pics, they also displayed very good colour changing to fit in with the colour of what ever they were lying on, including the ability to match different parts of their body to different backgrounds.

Can anyone tell me if these are "for real" flatties, or some guppy-sized version?

post-8116-038135400 1335694390_thumb.jpg

post-8116-052112800 1335694699_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

It's a bit hard to tell since the photos are a bit blurred but from the outlines they look like a type of blenny which are very common in rock pools. They don't grow very big.

On the second photo the head does not look flat enough and the fins are too high on the body. Here's a comparison photo that I took of a flathead that's 2cm long.

When looking from above such as looking down into a rock pool they look similar but side on quite different

Flathead

post-21985-082001600 1335732652_thumb.jpg

Blenny

DSCF7483.JPG

1750-ROCK_BLENNY.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness - the camera's focus was screwed up by the water's surface I think.

But these were definitely not blennies or gudgeons - their body shape was exactly like flatties, even if photos don't show this so clearly and just from the photos, I can see how they look like they might be blennies. Maybe I should have tried picking one up and seeing if it spiked me!

I could not see the flathead in the comparison photo - it just looks like sand?

We'd hiked a fair way along the spit-manly walk to get to 40 baskets, but I think there is fairly direct access from the back roads in clontarf.

But these were definitely not blennies or gudgeons - their body shape was exactly like flatties, even if photos don't show this so clearly and just from the photos, I can see how they look like they might be blennies. Maybe I should have tried picking one up and seeing if it spiked me!

I could not see the flathead in the comparison photo - it just looks like sand?

They could be baby flatties but the way the fish sit with the tail curled is typical of blennies. Of all the baby flatties I've seen underwater almost all sat with their tails straight. As for the comparison photo, it's of a sand flathead sitting half covered. To make it harder for you I'll put up the uncropped version from when I spotted him :D

post-21985-091718500 1335773443_thumb.jpg

As for gudgeons what family are they in? A quick google search only turns up freshwater fish?

They could be baby flatties but the way the fish sit with the tail curled is typical of blennies. Of all the baby flatties I've seen underwater almost all sat with their tails straight. As for the comparison photo, it's of a sand flathead sitting half covered. To make it harder for you I'll put up the uncropped version from when I spotted him :D

post-21985-091718500 1335773443_thumb.jpg

As for gudgeons what family are they in? A quick google search only turns up freshwater fish?

Try PTERELEOTRIDAE OR BLENNIIDAE.

Have caught many Dusky flathead over 50 years, but none smaller than about 25cms.

Edited by yowie

I was near some rock pools a few weeks ago and seen these exact same things, To me they looked exactly like baby flatties. I was going to keep one and put it in a fish tank but I thought it was a bit slack seeing everything I ever put in a fish tank seemed to die. I left the poor little babies there.

They are to flat to be Gudgeons

Hey Guys

Most definitely not baby Flatties.

Wrong envroment structure etc etc.

They are very common in rock pools etc etc and other shallow sandy areas.

Commonly called "Gudgeons".

Have not sourced their scientific name but I am sure someone will.

heers

Trapper Tom

Try PTERELEOTRIDAE OR BLENNIIDAE.

Have caught many Dusky flathead over 50 years, but none smaller than about 25cms.

So gudgeons are ptereleotridae? Or are we saying Blennies (BLENNIIDAE) are called gudgeons?

So gudgeons are ptereleotridae? Or are we saying Blennies (BLENNIIDAE) are called gudgeons?

I'm saying look at both Families, as I cannot tell from the photograph. When I was a kid, the old fishermen told me they were most likely Gudgeons.

Marine gudgeons are found in the family PTERELEOTRIDAE.

What you have photographed are not baby flathead.