Saturday in Middle Harbour

hughsnews

On Saturday we headed up to Middle Harbour. We had never fished the area before so we were hoping for a bumper day.

After getting on the water at around 7am we headed to a sandy point with a nice dropoff hoping to hit some bream and flatties. Within one class I had a follow up and a few casts later something big busted off my lure.

It was then that we heard a person moaning. Turning around we could see a guy in the water hanging onto a kayak and loudly moaning. Unsure if he was just pissed at falling into the water or he was in a bad way we watched. A nice big cruiser went past him and either ignored him or didn’t see him. A few more moans and we realised he was in trouble. We tore over there and as we approached he starting yelling out for help and shouting he had a heart attack.

Ends up, he had a heart attack and had passed out, thus rolling his kayak. He had a surgically installed defibrillator which shocked his heart and restored it to a normal rhythm. The shock of the water woke him up. Anyhoo- we managed to get him to a nearby dock attached to a house and we managed to direct the ambulance down to him. By the time they got there he was walking and seemed fine- in fact he wanted to go home and have a shower first before going to the hospital. :074: We even went and found his flooded kayak and gear and dragged it onto shore.

Anyways, lucky we were there as no one else was around and he was not doing well in the water. Just shows that you need to keep an eye out for your fellow fishermen/water users!

Praying we had some good karma on our side we headed out again but it was not to be. We got half a dozen baby snapper only 10cm or less. I caught a nice leatherjacket and then after moving up to one of the bridges I caught a nice 41cm whiting.

IMG_2560.jpg

Bumped into a few fishermen and they were not catching much at all!

After an hour or two of nothing we scooted around to near manly. After noticing some mullet cruising on the surface I threw a blade at them just to see if they would react. Bam! Mullet starting chasing me everywhere. I got busted off and when my mate threw out his blade he landed a huge fish. He got a second one on but it took him around a post and broke off. We normally disregard Mullet and I never thought they took lures but it was 20 exciting minutes but only 1 fish landed.

Oh well, no fish but in the end of the day- lucky we were there otherwise you never know what might have happened.

Wow, what a day, thanks for helping the fellow man in need. I was out around Middle Harbour on Saturday as well in my kayak. Nothing much happening out there, however, I did manage a nice kingy from around the Spit. It punched well above its weight.

On Saturday we headed up to Middle Harbour. We had never fished the area before so we were hoping for a bumper day.

After getting on the water at around 7am we headed to a sandy point with a nice dropoff hoping to hit some bream and flatties. Within one class I had a follow up and a few casts later something big busted off my lure.

It was then that we heard a person moaning. Turning around we could see a guy in the water hanging onto a kayak and loudly moaning. Unsure if he was just pissed at falling into the water or he was in a bad way we watched. A nice big cruiser went past him and either ignored him or didn’t see him. A few more moans and we realised he was in trouble. We tore over there and as we approached he starting yelling out for help and shouting he had a heart attack.

Ends up, he had a heart attack and had passed out, thus rolling his kayak. He had a surgically installed defibrillator which shocked his heart and restored it to a normal rhythm. The shock of the water woke him up. Anyhoo- we managed to get him to a nearby dock attached to a house and we managed to direct the ambulance down to him. By the time they got there he was walking and seemed fine- in fact he wanted to go home and have a shower first before going to the hospital. :074: We even went and found his flooded kayak and gear and dragged it onto shore.

Anyways, lucky we were there as no one else was around and he was not doing well in the water. Just shows that you need to keep an eye out for your fellow fishermen/water users!

Praying we had some good karma on our side we headed out again but it was not to be. We got half a dozen baby snapper only 10cm or less. I caught a nice leatherjacket and then after moving up to one of the bridges I caught a nice 41cm whiting.

IMG_2560.jpg

Bumped into a few fishermen and they were not catching much at all!

After an hour or two of nothing we scooted around to near manly. After noticing some mullet cruising on the surface I threw a blade at them just to see if they would react. Bam! Mullet starting chasing me everywhere. I got busted off and when my mate threw out his blade he landed a huge fish. He got a second one on but it took him around a post and broke off. We normally disregard Mullet and I never thought they took lures but it was 20 exciting minutes but only 1 fish landed.

Oh well, no fish but in the end of the day- lucky we were there otherwise you never know what might have happened.

Nice to see you helping out the bloke god knows what would of happened to him, good work :thumbup: and cracker whiting :biggrin2:

Wow, what a day, thanks for helping the fellow man in need. I was out around Middle Harbour on Saturday as well in my kayak. Nothing much happening out there, however, I did manage a nice kingy from around the Spit. It punched well above its weight.

You were in a Purplish colour Kayak were you? If so we may have talked to you

Hughsnews

Good read, and good on ya for helping that guy out.

I'm only guessing here but what size leader were you using 3lb? 4lb? Seems like you had a few bust offs...

6lb nitlon all the way for light work.

Fishingphase

Both me and my mate both use 5lb but I am unsure of what brand(but I think its Nitlon). In total we got busted off 4 times. The first was because I tried a new knot for my leader which cut through my mono (I think). One was a monster flatty who manaeged to fray my mates line and then snap it with a big surge. I got smashed by one of the mullet and it bit through the line(?) as it was cut just above the lure and then the final time was a mullet who took my mate around a post as we were fishing right next to a wharf.

I like the 5lb. Normally we haven't had any issues with it and we rarely lose lures unless they get jagged in a completely messed up rock. It just appeared to be one of those days where the fish got the better of us. We are now down $45 worth of tackle :ranting2:

Always more devasting when you haven't got many fish to make up for it. But it helped reconfirm my love of the albright knot rather than these new fangled knots the kids use these days :biggrin2:

Just got a call from the man we helped. He is fine, was out of hospital that evening and now has new meds which will really help him out. Also he is sending us wine as a thankyou! :beersmile:

Great stuff.

You deserve that wine mate. Well done on helping out.

Shame about the bustoffs, but at least you hooked a few.

Cheers,

Grant.

Good on you for stopping and helping out. You probably saved the bloke's life, and fishing out of a kayak myself, I'd hope others would do the same if I got into some trouble while on the water. Cracker whiting too. thumbup.gif