Navionics Gold Card Information

hnsgeq

Hi guys, Looking for some information on a topic that I'm sure has been covered before but I just couldn't locate the thread.

I have a Lowrance HDS-5 and was thinking about buying a Navionics Gold card for it. What I'm struggling to find is what information is on the card?

Does it give you co-ordinates and directions to say Long Reef or Browns or 12 mile etc or does it give just a clearer picture of the coast line and depths?

If someone could let me know, that'd be great.

Thank you.

When mine works (seems to be a bit temperamental about when it will show the gold maps) it shows channel markers and navigation information. I haven't noticed too many custom marks, although with the PC software and a card reader you can access user supplied marks for various spots.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a navionics gold card. The information is good but I'm am disappointed to find that places like St.Georges Basin and Lake Macquarie are not mapped. Can anyone let me know if they have found a solution to this?

You will have to make your own waypoints and marks. Unless the areas have officially produced soundings that appear on Australian hydrographic charts the bottom contours won't appear on the plotter cartridges.

I believe gold cards provide additional info such as marinas, bridge heights, locations and info applicable to vessel navigation such as fuel points, tides and so forth. Platinum cards have photos of significant features to aid visual navigation and some have specialty info like known fishing grounds.