Bait Preparation

aeb870

When I catch slimies, bonitos, etc. I usually take them home and freeze them to be used as bait every time I go fishing.

My question is, and to make life somewhat easier. Can I fillet them when I get home before throwing them in the freezer? If I freeze the fillets does that wreck the integrity of the bait?

I usually freeze the entire fish and then fillet it when I am about to use it as bait, but normally this results in me sitting there and waiting for it to defrost a bit.

When I catch slimies, bonitos, etc. I usually take them home and freeze them to be used as bait every time I go fishing.

My question is, and to make life somewhat easier. Can I fillet them when I get home before throwing them in the freezer? If I freeze the fillets does that wreck the integrity of the bait?

I usually freeze the entire fish and then fillet it when I am about to use it as bait, but normally this results in me sitting there and waiting for it to defrost a bit.

See the 'Bonito As Bait' thread for advice.

Yowie.

Thanks for the response, very helpful.

Ye, I am participating in the "Bonito As Bait" thread too. :)

I suppose I don't mind freezing the whole fish and preparing it while I am out fishing, but sometimes when you go for a night fish at the beach trying to target jewies, I always imagined it to be easier if I simply have the fillet ready for the hook.

Edited by aeb870