Keeping trailer brake rotor rust away

rexaway1234

Hi Guys... What bright ideas/suggestions or tricks does anyone have to keep the rust at bay on trailer rotors while stored at home on my driveway...boat is fully covered down to chines but same as if you leave your car even for few days in rain the rotors start to rust despite religious wash down at ramp and at home to minimise any salt residue?

Cheers matt

Hi Guys... What bright ideas/suggestions or tricks does anyone have to keep the rust at bay on trailer rotors while stored at home on my driveway...boat is fully covered down to chines but same as if you leave your car even for few days in rain the rotors start to rust despite religious wash down at ramp and at home to minimise any salt residue?

Cheers matt

If you are really serious about eliminating the problem, then think about bronze rotors and stainless calipers or stainless rotors with stainless calipers. You might need a second mortgage though.

Cheers Blood Knot

Get yourself a set of S/S rotors and S/S calipers, you will never have rusty calipers , pads will last longer and your barkes will always work. More $$ to atrt with but cheaper in the long run.

In the meantime after you wash the trailer take it for a short drive to get the rotors hot and dry, it will help a little.

I wouldent worry about it to much, the bigger problem is if you leave the hand break on and they rust the pads to the rotors. Surface rust will ware off quickly when used. Just need to replace them every few years.

When I brought my latest boat the previous owner had removed the pads all together. I Had my mechanic re build them, then left the hand break on for the 1st trip to the ramp... Lucky it's only about a k away.

I wouldent worry about it to much, the bigger problem is if you leave the hand break on and they rust the pads to the rotors. Surface rust will ware off quickly when used.

Agree. Don't leave the hand brake on when the trailer is stored as the water is retained between the roter & the pad & ends up looking something like this.

post-731-016699700 1335907241_thumb.jpg

All steel roters will get a small amount of surface rust which will ware off in the first few hundred meters.

The most important aspect is to ensure the calipers are moving freely on the 2 bolts / sleves which attach the caliper to the axle

Geoff

• 9 months later...

hi Mate

Best thing to use to keep the rust off your rotors is to mix 50/50 linseed oil and turps in a spray bottle and spray the rotors after use.

Its cheap and it works, doesnt effect the brake system.

Ray

How did you detetmine spraying oil on rotors does not effect the performance , especially over a period of time where the pads would get an oil buildup.

If parking your car for a month or so , would you use the same 50/50 mix.?

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I have been using it on my disc's for over 10 years and never had a problem with oil build up. I'm not sure exactly why the oil doesn't effect braking, it must have something to do with the turps mix in it. I friend told me about this solution and i have been using ever since with no prob. My boat will sit there for over 3 months sometimes.

I only spray the disc's not the calipers, and I wouldn't use it on hydraulic brake systems.

Only draw back I've had is you have to mix the solution in the bottle every now and then cause the oil settles to the bottom and goes off.

I use 50/50 mix.

Ray

ok peoples,

Rotors will get surface from just sitting there due to being a clean bare metal surface. After using the trailer rise with fresh water and just leave it.

Rotors are cheap and so are pads for them so why worry. Im sure 27mm of solid steel wont rust through any time soon if you rise it after use. Do not spray oil or anything on them. They are not designed for that and residual oil/chemical could have an adverse affect on performance or the metal itself.

Cheers,

Josh

Hi Geoff

I have been using it on my disc's for over 10 years and never had a problem with oil build up. I'm not sure exactly why the oil doesn't effect braking, it must have something to do with the turps mix in it. I friend told me about this solution and i have been using ever since with no prob. My boat will sit there for over 3 months sometimes.

I only spray the disc's not the calipers, and I wouldn't use it on hydraulic brake systems.

Only draw back I've had is you have to mix the solution in the bottle every now and then cause the oil settles to the bottom and goes off.

I use 50/50 mix.

Ray

I spray my entire trailer with this mix once every 2 years.

It works a treat!

Not sure about applying it to brakes though.

Cheers,

Grant.