Left over Braid

boattart

I've just bought a couple of new outfits to get into soft plastics for snapper and each reel will hold around 220-250 meters of braid. I have a spool of 300 yards of 15lb and intend to spool the other with 20lb. Now when you have 50 or so yards of leftover mono from spooling up it can be used for trace material but what do you with 50 meters of leftover braid, it's to short to use but too much to throw away.

I use leftovers for Knot practice and destructive testing.

Especially when practicing Biminis, PR's and Mid knots which consume a fair bit of line. You can keep tying them over and over untill you become proficient at them, then attach them between a set of scales and an immovable object and pull untill they fail. What better way to to build faith in your knots?

I use mine for binding runners onto rods when a binding gets damaged. It is far stronger than any of the cotton. You can usually colour it with permanent markers if you want it red or black or what ever colour you want (if it is a light coloured braid.)

I have HEAPS of 'mostly spooled' braid reels! wacko.gif Yep, I am a hoarder!

Roberta

Using it to practise the difficult knots is a top idea, Dan!

Edited by Roberta

Practising knots is a great idea and will definitely use what I have for that. Option 2 for the 20lb is I bought a 1500 yard spool so I should be be right for a couple of seasons and only 1 offcut. Thanks for the thoughts.

I use leftovers for Knot practice and destructive testing.

Especially when practicing Biminis, PR's and Mid knots which consume a fair bit of line. You can keep tying them over and over untill you become proficient at them, then attach them between a set of scales and an immovable object and pull untill they fail. What better way to to build faith in your knots?

This is what I do with my left overs aswell. I

I've just bought a couple of new outfits to get into soft plastics for snapper and each reel will hold around 220-250 meters of braid. I have a spool of 300 yards of 15lb and intend to spool the other with 20lb. Now when you have 50 or so yards of leftover mono from spooling up it can be used for trace material but what do you with 50 meters of leftover braid, it's to short to use but too much to throw away.

Hey boattart,

When having some left over braid, I like to keep it aside to use as a connection to leaders. The way I do this is I run a double (two loops) bimini twist on my main braid off the reel; I then do the same knot with the left over braid; then simply a loop to loop knot between my main braid and about 1 metre or so from the left over braid. then using an fg knot (sebile knot, etc.) I attach my trace to the left over braid.

I find this very useful, as it is great for preserving your spooled length of braid; because when one loses traces they are not actually decreasing the length of the spooled braid.

This is my bimini from the braid coming off the reel.

post-23041-013119900 1335979501_thumb.jpg

This is the bimini at one end of the left over braid.

post-23041-002416500 1335979587_thumb.jpg

This is the loop to loop connection between both bimini twists.

post-23041-071762400 1335979673_thumb.jpg

This is the fg knot from the left over braid to the fluro trace.

post-23041-072581700 1335979768_thumb.jpg

This is the whole setup.

post-23041-035395700 1335979907_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps. I prefer this method as any left over braid is utilised and not simply put to waist.

P.s. sorry about the camera quality.

Ziad

Edited by ziad

Most chucked out aka wasted but some heavier classed braid used to fix crab witches hats. There a limit of how much use it can be as with 50yards per spool and about 6 spools per 6 months or so that's a lot of braid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i think you will find if you use 100 meters of mono backing to your reel you can put on 150mt of braid on top and have a spare 150mt of braid in your kit for when it wears thin....

thats what i do anyhow

oink oink :biggrin2:

Edited by Pigbody

• 1 month later...