Hoodie-more and Kings 4/5

quintrex480

Hi Raiders, not sure if people are sick of king reports yet or not, but here goes another one.

Made a late call last night to get out on the bay for more kings and maybe get onto some hoodies this time, unfortunately my normal fishing buddies couldn't make it so it was a solo trip for me today.

Hit the squid grounds and it was tough with the wind blowing one way and the current the other. Took me close to 2 hours to get 2, 1 small one and a medium size one.

Went outside and downrigged the smaller squid to only let pickers take them, so down goes the medium size one, and first pass BOOOMM!!! rod bends out the back and off I drive to deeper waters, looking back I am praying, please, please do not bust off... 15kg drag and I see line coming off the Saltiga, hearts in my mouth!!!

I soon have it at the boat and my heart is pounding, got the gaff and got it... the relief and joy of landing a hoodie solo was awesome! it went 105cm, no more squid left, I had to go back in and try to get some more.. but a couple kind chaps that were around offered me one of theirs (if you guys are on FR, thanks heaps :biggrin2: , I'll return the favour next time). But unfortunately, I lost the squid to the pickers again.

Had to go back in the get more squid, and first cast, got a big one... packed up and headed back outside and decided to slice him down the middle for 2 pieces of bait. After about 3-4 passes, they weren't interested, and I was saying last pass and back in, and on that pass, the rod buckles over and I hear the drag going off... woohoo!!! I am on again! landed him to exactly 100cm...

Put the other half of squid back on, and the sounder is showing a massive school of kings... and right as I pass them, bang! rod goes off again, it went 96cm.

Still can't wipe the smile off my face!!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Left with the sounder still showing plenty of kings still around, and "I left them biting" :biggrin2:

Stay tuned for the video... :biggrin2:

post-16665-020683500 1336124690_thumb.jpg

post-16665-027891000 1336124999_thumb.jpg

post-16665-044943000 1336125021_thumb.jpg

post-16665-047871300 1336125038_thumb.jpg

post-16665-040754900 1336125053_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

You are right . I wish I didnt keep hearing your reports . I am doing renovations & have put the boat away so not to temp me with these stories . You guys are really having a top season with the kings .Goes to show you need to spend the time & effort to get those bloody squid . I hate that as they are so fickle . Top effort. They love that area at 13.7 m. Sounds like you hit the jackpot with that reef you have found . Good luck to you . :thumbup:

By the time I can get out there will be nothing left. Do me a favor the next time you catch a kingie, put a sign on it saying "PROPERTY OF J HOOKED, WILL COLLECT LATER!" and release him. :thumbup:

I can't get out for another couple of weeks!

Cheers mate. :biggrin2:

Nice work again, never get sick of the reports, at least it's kings for some ... I think I may have seen you on my way in? We're you still down rigging at about 1pm

Cheers Luke

Edited by Plumb

I am so sorry I can't make it. Sorry for myself that is..Top effort buddy ..especially solo and all and 100% conversion on hookups. You smarten up on your gaffing skills. It has been a good season.

"Left them biting?" That's my line!! :biggrin2:

Edited by Formosan

You gotta stop with these Friday sicky reports! .... all these kingfish reports by you is starting to make me feel... well sick!

Great effort buddy...

Cheers

Trung

You gotta stop with these Friday sicky reports! .... all these kingfish reports by you is starting to make me feel... well sick!

Great effort buddy...

Cheers

Trung

Got any reports from yourself?

come on boys leave some for me your buggers

well done guys :thumbup:

how did the gaff jobs go :074:

cheers

zed

trust me zed, from what I saw constantly on the sounder, there are plenty out there! you convinced your mate to give the hawks a miss and come down to chase some kings? good luck tomorrow if you're heading out. As for the gaff job, I had a lot more surface area this time, piece of cake!! :biggrin2:

By the time I can get out there will be nothing left. Do me a favor the next time you catch a kingie, put a sign on it saying "PROPERTY OF J HOOKED, WILL COLLECT LATER!" and release him. :thumbup:

I can't get out for another couple of weeks!

Cheers mate. :biggrin2:

I'll remember to do that next time J :biggrin2: , if there is nothing left by the time you get a chance to get out, it's because they have moved on, but water temp was still quite warm so let's hope it stays that way for a little while longer.

Nice work again, never get sick of the reports, at least it's kings for some ... I think I may have seen you on my way in? We're you still down rigging at about 1pm

Cheers Luke

heya Luke, I knew you were heading out today and I did try to keep an eye out for you but couldn't find that cox craft, yes I was still down rigging at 1pm, you should have popped by to say hi :biggrin2:

Edited by quintrex480

Great effort buddy...

Cheers

Trung

:biggrin2: Just for you mate, no further reports from a Friday.

I am so sorry I can't make it. Sorry for myself that is..Top effort buddy ..especially solo and all and 100% conversion on hookups. You smarten up on your gaffing skills. It has been a good season.

"Left them biting?" That's my line!! :biggrin2:

Mate, I tried to convince you to come out! yeah it was the hat man! leaving Daiwa cap at home from now on! :biggrin2:

Great effort. Definitely better than us. Managed 1 squid all day and one large tailor downrigging mid afternoon.

Massive schools of small striped fish running north of the bay made it difficult to identify anything else on the sounder.

Haha that was me mate I knew you where a raider ;) I'll post a report tomorrow . My back is still killing lol

hahaha good stuff mate! thanks again for your generosity, next time you see me in the bay, come over and like I said, I'll return the favour. How did you guys go after going back in? I think I heard you say you did pretty well before coming outside, would love to read your report. thanks again!!!

That's ok mate yeh we cleaned up on squid that day we were using bigger jigs like 3.0 and squiding in deeper water .. Yeh we only got 2 kings inside both around the 90cm mark , but didn't have much luck outside when we seen ya .. The maritime wouldn't let us fish at the other spot inside bastards lol .. All n all was a good days fishing