hookjawed jack

Headed over the mountains a few days ago to bash through Central Tablelands bush for some stream trout spinning. Awesome weather. Eight hours of non stop walking/stumbling/sweating for just two fish.

But one was a hook jawed jack rainbow of 45cms. Went ballistic, jumping seven times (I counted!). Hit the little rabbit zonker jig in a run one foot deep, 20 feet long and five feet wide. Thick shouldered, super chunky fish.

post-183-036495700 1336188200_thumb.jpg

I know bugger all about trout but is this fishes jaw the result of the hormones racing through them as spawning time arrives? Or would it look like this year round?

Pic doesn't do the colours justice either _ wonder if those spawning colours are starting to show? Water was air-clear. Also, the jack ran down from its run on hook up and did its jumps in a tiny pool I was standing/crouching beside. After revival and release, I cast into the same tiny run again and a female smacked the jig _ lost it cause the fish porpoised towards me, jumping directly at me three or four times and couldn't get a decent hook set _ couldn't reel fast enough! Was this the jack's lady friend?

Man my legs are still sore.

G'day Iron, different stream this time, wanted to expand my horizons and got a tip from a mate, under warnings of death not to reveal as its more high country creek than stream. Sorry. Hard yakka and lots of walking and didn't see a fish for first four hours and was cursing mate until finally found a couple of fish. I'll ask him over coffee tomorrow if he doesn't mind a PM to a trusted fisho. Don't know how he'll react. Might get latte over my head!

Great report, nice fish. I was up on the Turon a couple of weeks ago(report still to come), caught a few fish that looked like they were getting ready to spawn, lots of colour.

It's always fun exploring new water, catching fish is a bonus.

Apparently the hook jaw has something to do with mature males being able to grab and harass females at spawning time by the tail I have been told. I have heard this from numerous sources otherwise could not tell you why the hook jaw developes!

G'day Iron, different stream this time, wanted to expand my horizons and got a tip from a mate, under warnings of death not to reveal as its more high country creek than stream. Sorry. Hard yakka and lots of walking and didn't see a fish for first four hours and was cursing mate until finally found a couple of fish. I'll ask him over coffee tomorrow if he doesn't mind a PM to a trusted fisho. Don't know how he'll react. Might get latte over my head!

Haha no worries, I'd never pressure anyone to divulge a spot, some of those little creeks can't handle much pressure. Don't risk a latte head for my benefit!

lovely fish mate, well done, ive noticed the rainbows are starting to really color up now and the browns have been for a few weeks,

i know what long days are all about mate, yesterday spent 12+hrs chasing them with a mate and we/he only got one fish to the bank being a 55cm 5lb bow hen all colored up and we reckon full of eggs as she was so fat,

luderick anglers reasoning for the hook jaw makes sense to me too,

Iron, I told my mate I'd given his mud map to a group of guys who love to dangle worms and love eating trout and have big families :biggrin2: . He took the bait for a split second, the evil eye started to glow :1badmood: , then he realised he was being had. But he did ask to keep secret for now, as the fish I managed is bigger than his best there (not by much) and he said he's gonna a go this week and beat it. He will too, I bet. Really good fisho.

The floods apparently have allowed some better than normal fish into this skinny water _ there are some really deep undercut banks to hide in.

Luderick Angler: re the hooked jaw, what naughty boys these male rainbows are, sound like my local pub on a Friday night.

Hooked up, that 55cm rainbow is awesome. Love to get one that big. Dwag, Centrepin and Hooked Up, I'm good at whining about the sore legs but yep, loved exploring. Such beautiful, raw country. Just gotta get more fit! Too long sitting on arse in a boat or easy strolls on sandbanks.

Only other fish was a 31cm brown, also on a rabbit zonker 1/32nd head jig:

post-183-002287600 1336373805_thumb.jpg

It too was small headed and thick shouldered.