NZ kingies woohooooo!

Robofish

Hi Raiders,

We have been looking forward to this trip all year and finally it has come round. Today we had our first day of three chasing kingies out of Whitianga. We got there this morning to be told that the weather forecast was against us an that we would not be able to get offshore but our skipper said 'Dont worry the kings are smaller but there are a few in close right now'. We were disappointed but to be fair we didn't need to be...

We were only 1km max from the wharf and started hitting big kingies on sabiki from the off when we were loading up on bait! It wasnt long before our livebaits were smashed and we ended up putting some quality kings on the boat. My highlight was a 15kg model on a flick stick with 4kg braid and it is now hilarious to think that we were throwing 10kg fish back without boating them because they were too small!

Here are some pics from today, tomorrow we are braving the winds to go out wide and hopefully snag some even bigger models-can't wait!!!3aa3afbf-c918-3e0d.jpg3aa3afbf-c934-e5dd.jpg3aa3afbf-c950-fa7d.jpg

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today we managed to get off shore and had fish up to 19kg plus quite a few that we just could not stop on Stella's with the drags locked up!95879143-e218-d4d4.jpg

We still have tomorrow, I could get used to this (but I'm not sure my back would)

Dave

Hi, am new to this gotta say site is not complicated to use, back to your NZ trip what a experience which i would love to do one day. I am amazed these monsters are caught on 4kg line which i have never caught only rats which gave me a good fight, good on ya guys. Us it possible to know roughly what a trip like this cost.

Thanks Anthony.

It just gets better - 22kg and it's only mid morning. I want to relocate, I am sure the wife will understand3aa3afae-eadb-8d29.jpg

I asked that question to my wife. She didn't answer! 10 min later she said we should go for a holiday to NZ. I said " That's a great idea love. I wish I had thought of that!" Anyting is possible when you ask the right questions. :biggrin2:

Can I ask when do you think is the best time and who did you go with etc?

Cheers

Well done on some very nice fish.... now... only 12 more months to wait for the next trip to NZ to get the one that got away!

Fishing NZ is the best bang for your buck experience in my opinion! Jig Jig.. BANG! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... oh what fun.....

Oh Mate, I am jealous as... I hope you smash em! I am sure that you will have a ball and Toby is a great skipper. I am already making enquiries about next year.

Hi mate,

I used theirs - great gear and I particularly like the jigging master overhead gear, really light but loads of grunt. To be fair I think that you really have to be high sticking in a serious way to do any damage. Just don't let go when one of them reef donkeys slam you! I am jealous and want to go back already.

Dave

You will have a ball. I had decided that this year's trip was going to be Sambo jigging at Rottnest but I reckon my plans are going to change to go back to NZ!

Dave

Great fish there mate I'm also going with Toby in early August with jizzo I get butterflys thinking about how these freight trains are gunna pull I can't wait just seeing your pics pumps us up even more.......

Rizzo

Edited by rizzo

Absolute stonker kings!!!

I am sooooo so jealous right now. My biggest is 89cm and that went ballistic, I dread yet cherish the thought of one of those on the end of my gear! I daresay though with the end of the kingy traps our fish are going to equal these fish in only a few years I think. My friend caught a 120+cm specimen down south here this year and 90cm specimens were common. Good sign for our fisheries I believe that they are doing the right thing for the future benefit of the species. We have some of the best fishing in the world right here on our east coast and if regulations are kept it is only going to get better. :yahoo:

The fishing for kings and snapper gets so much better the further north you go to, I grew up in a small town called kaitaia in the far north last time I was home I got a heap of snapper off the beach starting from 19lb - 28lb,

Miss NZ Fishing alot......