A Great Day On The Bay

ssantoro

Had a day off work last Tuesday to get on a fishing charter on Botany Bay.We started the morning at Trevally alley, fishing in the berley trail using baitrunners which I've never used before. we managed to pull up 12 Trevally in the first hour, which was quite enjoyable!! We then trawled with poppers searching for something bigger looking for a feed on the surface, but that wasn't successful. Our next move was to try soft plastics targeting flatheads along the edge of a sandy frenchmans bay, we pulled in one keeper. We then hit the baiting grounds for yakkas and squid, as it was time to chase what I had come there for....the KINGYS!!!! Caught no squid, 10 Yakkas and 3 Chinamen which I've never seen before. Once we got to the KINGY spot we rigged up and cast out our livies, while we waited for the big one to hit we flicked around and pulled in another Flaty and an octopus, the 'pus went back into the drink as nobody wanted it; and the KINGYS didn't show :thumbdown:

So we headed back to the wharf after 7 hours on the water, learnt so much from our guide, caught some nice fish and had a great feed that night. Here's my share of our catch, the 40cm Trevally was the biggest we caught and I pulled the sucker in :biggrin2:

post-22947-056702100 1336806841_thumb.jpg

Did you eat the leather jacket cause there only like 10 cm

They're actually bigger than they look. When eating Leatherjackets you remove the head which is a significant part of the fish.

I know they would of been bigger but the one at the bottom

Whats the deal, put all three jackets together and you have a proper feed. LEatherjacket are plentiful anyway. I say lets all eat more leatherjackets reduce the numbers of these pests.

Whats the deal, put all three jackets together and you have a proper feed. LEatherjacket are plentiful anyway. I say lets all eat more leatherjackets reduce the numbers of these pests.

Agreed. Annoying when fishing for other species, but gee they are a nice fish to eat. There not being a size limit says a bit about how plentiful they are.

Did you eat the leather jacket cause there only like 10 cm

yep crumbed them and fried them up, tasted like a prawn cutlet; they are a real pest kept chewing our soft plastics up and attacking our hooks when we chased Yakkas. Taste OK :biggrin2:

ran into a whole mess of jackets a few years back, we just had all the fish in an esky on ice no water except the melt and the jackets stayed alive for hours and they actually took chunks out of alot of the other fish couldn't believe it

ran into a whole mess of jackets a few years back, we just had all the fish in an esky on ice no water except the melt and the jackets stayed alive for hours and they actually took chunks out of alot of the other fish couldn't believe it

Amazing