One Secret Bass

In the forest on the shore of Boonah Dam on the Sunshine Coast is an escape to inspire poets, painters, lovers... and fishermen.

Secrets On The Lake is the dream and passion of a couple who have created accommodation that looks and feels as if it has grown with the forest itself. Timber tree-houses perched high among the tangled old-growth trees. Every door, floor, bench, and walkway is a work of timber art with countless hours of carving and care going into every bespoke piece.

I just enjoyed a weekend of wood fires, rich food, tranquility and even some fishing.

post-6175-010236900 1337033807_thumb.jpg

One advantage of a long relationship is that by the 24th anniversary, going fishing for a couple of hours doesn't precipitate world war 3 so with a borrowed outfit and in one of Secret's old timber dinghies, I rowed out onto a glassy calm Boonah Pocket Dam. The afternoon sun left long, shadowed stretches along the East facing banks so I slowly moseyed along plinking a 1/4oz black & purple Bassman spinnerbait into likely looking cover.

In that dreamy state where a lot of casts has turned into a hypnotic pattern, I was woken up with a sharp hit. No luck! Now some casting with more intent but no other customers came to visit.

Eventually, I began to row for home thinking I'd missed out but feeling incredibly relaxed for an hour or so of listening to nothing but frog song. A deep, rocky stretch still golden in the late sun caught my eye with thoughts of maybe a Yellowbelly enjoying the warmth to be found. My first cast fell short into 'no-man's land' but on the second, the metal and rubber landed with a splish hard against the sandstone between a small tangled snag and a lily bed.

Two cranks of the handle and 'bump'! Another 2 and the rod was wrenched in my hand. Line peeled... is there a sweeter sound than that? Whatever this fish was it wasn't very happy being interrupted from its usual fishy business. Each time I felt I had the upper hand and I might just get to see what I had it made another bulldozing dive for the weedy bottom. Eventually down deep in the murky water the low sun flashed on scales. Not yellow as I expected from the weight of the fish but green. And then it was there on it's side beside the little boat... a beautiful Bass, fit and thick across the shoulders, all sheen and flashing bronze and gasping from his fight.

Thumb in his mouth, I carefully lifted him from his home and lay him gently on the rear seat of the dinghy and I just sat for a moment admiring his size and handsome design. A quick measure thanks to a hastily downloaded 'ruler' app on my phone... and a quick photo from same... and I had the extra joy of seeing him swim free in perfect health, with I'm sure the body language of annoyed puzzlement at this unwelcome intrusion into his routine.

post-6175-012583600 1337033797_thumb.jpg

All this for just one fish you ask. 46cm and my best Bass and because of the circumstances, the location, the little dinghy, the music of frogs, the absence of other people and because of one bronze, fit, magnificent, Secret Bass... one that will be forever filed under 'special moments' and worthy of a little excess in the telling.

Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky

All this for just one fish you ask. 46cm and my best Bass and because of the circumstances, the location, the little dinghy, the music of frogs, the absence of other people and because of one bronze, fit, magnificent, Secret Bass... one that will be forever filed under 'special moments' and worthy of a little excess in the telling.

Slinky

truly a great report Slinky, thank you for sharing your 'intimate afternoon" with us :)

Good on ya tony, :thumbup:

A beautiful bass in anyones book..

...but enough about bronze fish, its about time we go GREEN!!!

Just got a pair of Korkers wading boots that have New England Gorge Country written all over them!! Hopefully better than the sock-based approach to wading and walking the rivers. :biggrin2:

Congratulations on your PB Bass, Tony!! Also your 24th anniversary! What a lovely spot to celebrate it, too! Great report - I will have to add it to my list of 'must visits' when in Qld!!

cheerio

Roberta

Congratulations on your PB Bass, Tony!! Also your 24th anniversary! What a lovely spot to celebrate it, too! Great report - I will have to add it to my list of 'must visits' when in Qld!!

cheerio

Roberta

For you or for anyone who is interested in a very special place to stay with someone very special... it's hard to think of anywhere more memorable. Bucket list location for sure!

Great stuff mate!

That's a cracker of a bass in any ones books.

I still reckon you downloaded a pic & not an app off the web. We all know you collect tackle & don't use it!! :tease:

Well, it wasn't your own tackle so I will believe you.

No more stealth boots? Bugger, I'll still wear my crappy shirt when we go cod fishing. :biggrin2:

Congrats on the p.b & to you & Sharon on your 24th anniversary. She's an amazing woman to put up with you for that long! :1yikes:

Cheers,

Grant.