Jew Fish, The High & The Lows

pacoyo

Hey all,

With a touch of JF fever headed out to Middle Harbour near Sugarloaf Bay to again chase some Jewies.

Only been living in Sydney for 2 year and just got a boat at the end of Jan, All be it a 3m Polycraft.

Caught a few live yakkas then headed out at around 5pm.

First hour was pretty slow. Got comfortable and set for a long haul.

Not long after id made up a floor bed I heard the drag on my Seagate 3500 peel then stop, dam, nope here it goes again.

I grab the rod and the fish takes off. A solid fight eventually leads to my first Sydney Jewie. It measured 65cm.

I decided to keep it as id told myself if I get a big one Ill let it go.

Things were pretty slow for the next hour or so, lost most of my livies to varies reason and was thinking about calling it quits.

I'd had one beast of a yakka the whole time out on a Saltist demon blood pe4 jigging rod with a Avet overhead.

Just as I finished pulling in a rod I heard the ratchet drag scream of. Finally the big yakka had been eaten.

I set the hooks and line peeled off. A beast of a fight then insured.

After clearing it of the anchor rope, then the motor I manager to tangle the one other rod still out.

Scrambling I managed to cut the tangled line and continue to do battle.

Got the fish to the surface I was amazed, I knew it felt big.

Grabbed the boggas and had a shot, missed, panic chuck the bogga and grab the net.

Drags backed off swipe dam it doesn't fit, dam the bottom snell hook hooked the net.

Commotion follows and fish is lost. Final verdict looked like the gill raker cut the leader.

What a night. Cant help but be happy with my first Sydney Jew and a feed but so close to my pb.

Looked a easy metre and a real beast along side a 3m boat. Would have loved a pic before sending it back.

Might have to get out again tom night. hopefully my mate will b free.

post-22574-046639300 1337173488_thumb.jpg

post-22574-046757000 1337173501_thumb.jpg

Edited by pacoyo

Dam!That would have been a rush. Why is it always the big one that gets away? :1badmood:

I suppose it makes us more determined to get out and try again. Hopefully to catch that fish of a lifetime. :thumbup:

Yeah it was for sure, had a moment after it all took place where I just sat there heart beating and shattered, that why I love them so much I guess.

Definitely felt alive.

Yeah a lot can go wrong with the bigger models.Glad to hear they are turning up and next week i will be getting amongst them in MH. If you see me out there say G'day, i am in a 4.2m estuary angler (quinnie)with a yammie on the back.

mike

Drags backed off swipe dam it doesn't fit, dam the bottom snell hook hooked the net.

that moment.

gut-wrenching...

but thanks for sharing, well done on the first one :)

i go land-based around sugarloaf, so it is promising to see there are jewies around the area...

Yeah a lot can go wrong with the bigger models.Glad to hear they are turning up and next week i will be getting amongst them in MH. If you see me out there say G'day, i am in a 4.2m estuary angler (quinnie)with a yammie on the back.

mike

I am in a blue polly with a yammie. Noticed the water quality had improved. Livies around in good number so lets hope that rain stays away.

Well done mate, i also got my first decent jewie up that way only a month or so ago. Its definitely worth the effort of fishless sessions prior to the capture. Sugarloaf is a very fishy spot. Some monster Bream have been pulled from there at night on unweighted strips of mullet. Keep at it and that big one will find your bait again soon!

Hey all,

With a touch of JF fever headed out to Middle Harbour near Sugarloaf Bay to again chase some Jewies.

Only been living in Sydney for 2 year and just got a boat at the end of Jan, All be it a 3m Polycraft.

Caught a few live yakkas then headed out at around 5pm.

First hour was pretty slow. Got comfortable and set for a long haul.

Not long after id made up a floor bed I heard the drag on my Seagate 3500 peel then stop, dam, nope here it goes again.

I grab the rod and the fish takes off. A solid fight eventually leads to my first Sydney Jewie. It measured 65cm.

I decided to keep it as id told myself if I get a big one Ill let it go.

Things were pretty slow for the next hour or so, lost most of my livies to varies reason and was thinking about calling it quits.

I'd had one beast of a yakka the whole time out on a Saltist demon blood pe4 jigging rod with a Avet overhead.

Just as I finished pulling in a rod I heard the ratchet drag scream of. Finally the big yakka had been eaten.

I set the hooks and line peeled off. A beast of a fight then insured.

After clearing it of the anchor rope, then the motor I manager to tangle the one other rod still out.

Scrambling I managed to cut the tangled line and continue to do battle.

Got the fish to the surface I was amazed, I knew it felt big.

Grabbed the boggas and had a shot, missed, panic chuck the bogga and grab the net.

Commotion follows and fish is lost. Final verdict looked like the gill raker cut the leader.

What a night. Cant help but be happy with my first Sydney Jew and a feed but so close to my pb.

Looked a easy metre and a real beast along side a 3m boat. Would have loved a pic before sending it back.

Might have to get out again tom night. hopefully my mate will b free.

Hey mate nice catch if you don't mind me asking what rig technique do you use when fishing for Jewish using live yakkas?

Hey mate nice catch if you don't mind me asking what rig technique do you use when fishing for Jewish using live yakkas?

I snell two hooks, rig one through the top jaw or eye socket and one in the tail. fishing a running sinker either to a swivel or straight to the hooks.